[JPL] Hawaii Public Radio Challenge 2011 Pledge Drive

Ray Cruz rcruz at hawaiipublicradio.org
Fri Apr 15 02:13:03 EDT 2011

Aloha,

Hawaii Public Radio's “CHALLENGE 2011” WRAPED AT 5:31 P.M. ON THE AFTERNOON OF DAY 9; Down-to-the-Wire Finale Hits $833,110.........$2,110......Over Goal!

Hawaii Public Radio brought its spring fundraiser “Challenge 2011” to a triumphant conclusion at
5:31 p.m. on Thursday, April 14, 2011 in the afternoon of the ninth day of a drive scheduled for ten days.

The goal of $831,000 was exceeded by $2,110 for a record-breaking total of $833,110. There were 2,693 calls from supporters during the drive. KIPO 89.3 FM earned a record pledge total of $213,572, and that stream’s reach across the state has been strengthened through the new KIPM transmitter, which is co-located with the KKUA transmitter at Ulupalakua in upcountry Maui.

Advance donations before the drive totaled 1,525, for a sum of $161,140.

Last fall’s fundraiser ended late the afternoon of the 10th day.

“Given the very recent expansion of our news and information stream’s signal in Maui County and West Hawaii, we could not be more delighted,” said HPR President and General Manager Michael Titterton. “We have always described our service as community-building, and this is enthusiastic proof that our listeners want to keep this service on track and on the air. We could not be more grateful."

More than 300 volunteers joined the station staff and on-air guests to ask for funding for programming costs for the next six months.

Ray Cruz
Asst. Director of Operations
Hawaii Public Radio
Honolulu, Hawaii