[JPL] BILLY BANG 1947-2011

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 09:39:21 EDT 2011

Bang was the nicest cat, and ready to GO whenever he came around
Chicago to play with Kahil El'Zabar. They appeared in duo at the UICA
in Grand Rapids (when UICA was housed in the old bank building), then
played a hippie/punk joint called Arco Iris with Tri-Factor (Bang,
Bluiett and El'Zabar). Blue Lake Public Radio recorded that for
broadcast, a rather rambling evening. When Bang returned to Grand
Rapids in 2003 with a quintet featuring Frank Lowe we arranged a
recording for broadcast that was eventually issued on Justin Time
records.

Talked to Mark Helias about Bang this winter. I mean, in Viet Nam he
wasn't a desk jockey, at all -- he was doing the dirty work of war. It
profoundly affected him. Thankfully there was redemption in music.

As the song says, let's have faith he's now "At Play in the Fields of
the Lord." God Bless, Bang -- thanks for the great vibrations.

--
Jazz, which comes to you in the best of taste, from Blue Lake.