[JPL] Playlist: Sound of Surprise 4-17-11

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 17 20:00:39 EDT 2011

Sound of Surprise
WPFW-FM
Washington DC
Sundays 4-6 pm
4-17-11

Remembering Billy Bang
1) Kahil El Zabar & Billy Bang-Old Time Religion (Spirits Entering)

Anniversary recordings
2) Miles Davis-Seven Steps To Heaven (Seven Steps To Heaven) 48 years old today
3) Johnny Griffin-Mil Dew (Introducing Johnny Griffin) 55 years old today

Mystery Musician Quiz: Paul Smith [89 years old today]
4) Paul Smith-Lady Is A Tramp (Intensive Care)
5) Paul Smith-Apart (I Love a Jazz Piano)
6) Paul Smith-On a Clear Day (Bellson, Brown & Smith)

7) Gretchen Parlato-Holding Back The Years (The Lost and Found)
8) Willie Nelson/Wynton Marsalis w/Norah Jones-Here We Go Again (Here We Go Again)
9) Palola Arneseco-Message In A Bottle (The Police Songbook)

10) Ambrose Akinmusire-Confessions...(When The Heart Emerges Glistening)
11) Matthias Eick-June (Skala)
12) Shane Endsley-Two Parts (Then The Other)
13) Don Sebesky-Firebird/Birds of Fire (Giant Box)

In Town This Week: Phil Woods
14) Phil Woods-Dois Pra La, Dois Pra Ca (Astor and Elis)
15) Phil Woods-Autumn Nocturne (Quintet + 1)

16) William Cepeda-Afrorican Jam (My Roots and Beyond)
17) William Cepeda-Bomba Flamenca (Expandiendo Raices)
18) George Adams-Going Home (Nightingale)
Host: Larry Appelbaum
jumpmonk at hotmail.com