[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Noah Preminger and Matthew Shipp & Darius Jones

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Apr 18 08:43:10 EDT 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/110418_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

(APRIL 18, 2011) -- Is this the end of The Jazz Session?

Sixth months ago I started my “100 x 300” campaign with the goal of
recruiting 100 paid subscribers to the show by the 300th episode. In the
months since then, about two dozen people have signed up to become
members. With just over 40 shows left, I need more than 70 members to
make the show financially viable enough for me to continue to do it.

Every week I get emails from listeners all over the world telling me how
much they like the show and how valuable it is to them. I need you to
demonstrate that value by becoming a member. You can do it for as little
as $10 per month or $110 per year (and the levels go up from there).

I love interviewing musicians and bringing you their stories. But my
financial circumstances have changed drastically since I started doing
this show four years ago, and I sincerely need your help.

So please become a member and help keep The Jazz Session alive. And if
you’re already a member, please tell your friends and encourage them to
support the show. http://thejazzsession.com/join

I wrote two new poems last week, one inspired by a performance by Fay
Victor & Dominic Lash:

“fireflies”
http://jasoncrane.org/2011/04/11/poem-fireflies/

...and the other inspired by a Ben Allison show:

“new york basement blues”
http://jasoncrane.org/2011/04/13/poem-new-york-basement-blues/

I also wrote a brief essay on hugging:
http://jasoncrane.org/2011/04/16/some-thoughts-on-hugging/

CD GIVEAWAY: I've got three autographed copies of Before The Rain, the
new CD by Monday's guest, Noah Preminger. To win one, send an email to
contest at thejazzsession.com with NOAH in the subject line. First three
emailers win the CD.

Next week on the show: Adam Cruz (TJS #260, Monday) and Jon Gordon (TJS
#261, Thursday).

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #258: Noah Preminger. Saxophonist Noah Preminger’s new CD is Before
The Rain (Palmetto, 2011). In this interview, Preminger talks about his
musical upbringing; why he spend a lot of time planning the order of the
songs in a performance; and the important of being respectful. SHOW
AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #259: Matthew Shipp & Darius Jones. Pianist Matthew Shipp and
saxophonist Darius Jones have a new duet CD called Cosmic Lieder (AUM
Fidelity, 2011). In this wide-ranging and often funny interview,
recorded in a diner in New York, Shipp and Jones discuss everything from
intergenerational collaborations to their shared and individual musical
languages. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 4/21/11.

*********************************
--
Jason Crane
The Jazz Session