[JPL] Average length of pledge drives at your station?

Blaise Lantana blantana at rioradio.org
Tue Apr 26 03:49:03 EDT 2011

We used to do about four hours and four days, but now we have new management
and they do about 6 days.

We start on Thursday, and do a short drive, anywhere from one hour to 8 hrs
starting at 6am.  Jazz raises money on Thursday night 8 to 11. Then Friday
is all day including the jazz hours 8 to 11pm.  Saturday is most of the day
but they let the evening slide.  Sunday part of the day and once a year we
raise money at night for the blues.
Monday we go all day from 6am to 11pm.  Tuesday it's 6am to 6pm and jazz is
off the hook.

So for jazz it's Thurs. Fri. and Mon nights 8 to 11.  After that we mention
that you can give online at anytime.

We are doing a new thing that is working.  We have a drawing for a grand
prize and everyone who calls in during the drive is entered.  You don't even
have to pledge but most people do!   We gave away an all expense paid trip
for two to Montreal including air fare, hotel for a week and tours of the
city. This gets people excited and it's only one giveaway so we don't have
to do premiums and deal with all the mail, etc.

I think this works because sometimes people love the station and want to
call but really need just a little push, and entering to win something gets
them to do what they really want to do.  Gets them past that hesitation
blues.

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix