[JPL] Average length of pledge drives at your station?

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Tue Apr 26 09:30:16 EDT 2011

WAMC, the NPR station in Albany that also reaches into far western
Massachusetts, holds three fund drives per year, with the target of maybe
three-quarters of a $million per drive, maybe a little north of that, in fact. I
don't believe that WAMC has anybody who is a JPL member. In fact, they only
have  one locally produced show, a 90-minute show on Saturday nights, plus
some  syndicated material like Jim Wilke, Marian McPartland and (pardon the
expression) Radio DeLuxe.

Their approach is to pitch the drive for a week or two in advance, for web
donations. They start on a Monday morning, dispense with all programming
between  8am-8pm (approximately), except for some noon-time news programming.
They may  also broadcast some of ATC.

How long does the drive last? Until their goal has been met. It's taken as
few as 4 or 5 days, I think the last time it was 8 or 9. It's brutal.

Ed