[JPL] Average length of pledge drives at your station?

morrison at wduq.org morrison at wduq.org
Tue Apr 26 09:57:49 EDT 2011

We usually run three drives a year. October (dates worked around the Steelers bye week if possible - no joke) and February drives last between 7 & 10 days. We do a short fiscal year wrap-up drive in May. We never go longer than the dates set for the drive.

Frequently running pre-recorded spots helps us keep the sound tighter and helps to keep whoever is pitching on track. We can focus upon talking about the station's mission, giving the phone number and website and thanking listeners. We can save our breath a bit. You come to appreciate that greatly by the end of the drive. It also helps when, say, a news person wants to highlight a jazz cd premium during Morning Edition. They can punch up a spot & one of our jazz hosts will give all of the information about it. They are the most knowledgeable staff when it comes to talking about jazz, so just let them do it. News listeners like jazz cd's, too. Spots include everything from listener testimonials to process spots (how to make a pledge) to descriptions of premiums to NPR personalities.

-Shaunna