[JPL] Average length of pledge drives at your station?

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Tue Apr 26 10:18:23 EDT 2011

We do 3 drives per year, one in Fall; one in late Winter/early Spring;
then a fiscal year-end drive in June (which is almost always in conflict
with Jazz Week/Rochester Jazz Fest).
Lengths vary between 5 and 8 days.  Like other stations, we raise 90% of
our budget from community-based underwriters and contributors.  We
generally do 3 6-minute breaks per hour in Jazz a la Mode, similarly for
news and classical.  We stay on message throughout, and we aren't shy
about the philosophy, the method, or the ask.

A big success in recent years has been E-pledge days, which sometimes
occur outside the parameters of the drives, other times within when we
take a day off from pledge breaks, usually Sundays.  E-pledge is heavily
promoted in advance through spots and live mentions.  We offer a prize
(I-Pads; trips, this year to the Aegean Sea) and the phones and web site
light up.   Of course, contestants aren't required to pledge, but so far
I think all of our winners have been contributors.

Tom

On 4/26/2011 9:47 AM, EdBride at aol.com wrote:
> This week's sponsor:
>
> UNDERGROUND Lisa Hilton/piano, Nasheet Waits/drums, Larry Grenadier/bass, J.D. Allen/tenor sax
>
> UNDERGROUND continues at jazz radio this week with over 100+ stations around the country now playing the disc after just two weeks, showcasing a great start.  WRTI/PA, WICN/MA, KTSU/TX and WGMC/NY are among many with strong support on UNDERGROUND. Hilton continues her tour April 28 in Los Angeles, and  May 25 in Hollywood, CA.    "Wildly ear opening, Hilton is fully in touch with some universal vibe that lifts this session up and away.  Hot stuff." Midwest Record  "A strikingly original voice on the piano". JazzChicago.net
>
> http://www.LisaHiltonMusic.com
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgHMPe9gew
>
> ---
>
> Clarification: I should have said that WAMC only has one locally produced
> jazz show, plus the below-named syndicated shows. About 1/3 of  their
> programming is local, and resembles AM talk and call-in radio;  syndicated
> APR/NPR/PRI commentary and variety shows fills the rest of their  timeslots.
>
> For jazz fans, WFCR is increasing their presence hereabouts with several
> towers in the Berkshire hills. Legendary radioman Tom Reney is a member, and
> I'll let him comment on the fundraising, should he wish.
>
> Ed
>

> In a message dated 4/26/2011 9:31:12 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> EdBride at aol.com writes:
>
> In fact,  they only
> have  one locally produced show, a 90-minute show on  Saturday nights, plus
> some  syndicated material like Jim Wilke,  Marian McPartland and (pardon
> the
> expression) Radio  DeLuxe.

Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"