[JPL] Advice again

Linda Yohn lyohn at emich.edu
Wed Apr 27 14:34:42 EDT 2011

Hello friends,

I'm back again asking for advice on jazz to appeal to younger listeners.

I've been told to make the sound of WEMU more appealing to new jazz listeners or look for another gig.

Smooth is NOT the way we want to go.

Is it singers?

Is it eliminating all recordings made before 1990?

Is it more blues and world music?

Is it more melody and less aggressive improvisation?  Is it the reverse of that question?

(Note - I've been requested to eliminate long, screaming solos from the mix.)

What is working for you?  How are you attracting and keeping listeners in their 30s?

Feel free to answer me off list if you like.

Hope to see many of you in June at The JazzWeek Summit.

Thanks a lot.

Linda

Linda Yohn
WEMU Music Director