[JPL] Advice again

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 15:18:54 EDT 2011

I'm seeing a lot of artists moving away from the Great American Songbook and
the usual standards repertoire towards covering artists like Radiohead,
Coldplay, Dirty Projectors and other interesting pop music (I'm not talking
about throwaway covers, there are some serious musicians taking this
repertoire seriously and doing some interesting stuff with it) e.g. Taylor
Eigsti's latest or the Bad Plus or MMW or Brad Mehldau or Seamus Blake etc.
I think the point is to demonstrate to younger listeners that the music can
be related to their experiences and stuff they already like, they don't have
to listen to jazz because "it's good for them" ... N

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Linda Yohn <lyohn at emich.edu> wrote:

> This week's sponsor:
>
> UNDERGROUND Lisa Hilton/piano, Nasheet Waits/drums, Larry Grenadier/bass,
> J.D. Allen/tenor sax
>
> UNDERGROUND continues at jazz radio this week with over 100+ stations
> around the country now playing the disc after just two weeks, showcasing a
> great start.  WRTI/PA, WICN/MA, KTSU/TX and WGMC/NY are among many with
> strong support on UNDERGROUND. Hilton continues her tour April 28 in Los
> Angeles, and  May 25 in Hollywood, CA.    "Wildly ear opening, Hilton is
> fully in touch with some universal vibe that lifts this session up and away.
>  Hot stuff." Midwest Record  "A strikingly original voice on the piano".
> JazzChicago.net
>
> http://www.LisaHiltonMusic.com
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgHMPe9gew
>
> ---
>
> Hello friends,
>
> I'm back again asking for advice on jazz to appeal to younger listeners.
>
> I've been told to make the sound of WEMU more appealing to new jazz
> listeners or look for another gig.
>
> Smooth is NOT the way we want to go.
>
> Is it singers?
>
> Is it eliminating all recordings made before 1990?
>
> Is it more blues and world music?
>
> Is it more melody and less aggressive improvisation?  Is it the reverse of
> that question?
>
> (Note - I've been requested to eliminate long, screaming solos from the
> mix.)
>
> What is working for you?  How are you attracting and keeping listeners in
> their 30s?
>
> Feel free to answer me off list if you like.
>
> Hope to see many of you in June at The JazzWeek Summit.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Linda
>
> Linda Yohn
> WEMU Music Director