[JPL] Advice again

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 15:27:01 EDT 2011

Honestly Linda...my answer to your inquiry would be two words...the beat.
Younger listeners don't get the "swing" rhythm concept because it's different
than anything they're use to being exposed to everyday. This is why so many
jazzers now are playing more loosely played straight eighth note designed
compositions. It's almost to a point now that it's unusual for a CD to come in
where it's straight up swingin. You would be hard pressed to find much swing in
NYC clubs these days. It's more about the groove...even in all acoustic playing.
Jazz in my view is in transition. Where it will end up is a very good guess but
it's nowhere near where is was pre 65 in terms of style. Today...it's like jazz
is taking the 65-70 period and trying to find new ways to refine and grow from
that. The problem is many of the young jazz players haven't dealt with the swing
before that and fail to realize how that study deepens anything else you do
after. It brings depth and substance to your ideas in a different way. We go
back to the records that make us "feel' good. Think about how many jazz
recordings coming out today you can remember six months down the road.

Jae Sinnett