[JPL] Advice again

Tom Mallison tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com
Wed Apr 27 16:42:47 EDT 2011

My original question had to do with what is management doing to attract
new younger audiences.  My thought is that it doesn't matter all the
things you might do as previously suggested by others if you don't have
them listening.  The station has to attract listeners and then you keep
them there with your programming.  Do you have a station FaceBook page
or a Four Square Page, Twitter and such.  These are the avenues younger
people use to communicate these days.  Does WEMU have a Cell App. like
many stations use this day and time?  Does WEMU have any print media
like in the University Student Newspaper or local entertainment free
newspapers that are in hotels, motels, restaurants, and night spots.
Again, young people get information for these publications.  These are
also good sources for having feature articles on WEMU.  Have  you had
features on local morning or 6 and 11 PM television stations?  All of
these items are aimed at steering listeners to WEMU and then once there
the programming is what will make them stay and come back.

In general one time I worked with the local car rental agencies and had
the first button on their cars programmed to our station's frequency.
This also works with car dealers and gets you what I call accidental
listeners.  Seek and Scan features on vehicle radios are two of our best
friends when it comes to attracting new listeners.

All of the other suggestions certainly are valid and workable but ya got
to get them to the station first.  At least that is my way of thinking.
ALOHA
Tom