[JPL] Advice again

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 17:18:49 EDT 2011

Tom you're talking about social networking for your station which of course is a
good thing. That said, it doesn't matter in the bigger picture if folks don't
like or can't relate to what you're playing. In that regard you're trying to
spread the information to folks that you have jazz but it simply may not be the
type of jazz they know or like. I now believe we have to be careful with this.
You mention keeping your audience listening...I now say...what kind of audience
do you want listening? What you play will determine the audience you have. Too
often we've acted like it was an across the board thing...that if we play "good"
jazz according to us... we'll have an audience. What you play only keeps a
certain type of listener tuned in for that. Others will want to hear something
else. The music is incredibly complicated in how it connects with a listener and
I believe we've underestimated how this works.That's the challenge we're faced
with in jazz radio. Who do we want to listen and what's the threshold to where
we can say we're actually building an audience or simply sustaining? If we
played what's on the top 20 of the Jazzweek charts...exception
Yellowjackets... that would only bring in a certain audience because the style
tends to be similar.

Jae Sinnett