[JPL] Re: Advice

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Wed Apr 27 18:37:46 EDT 2011

Linda Y wrote <<<  Hello friends,I'm back again asking for advice on jazz to appeal to younger listeners. I've been told to make the sound of WEMU more appealing to new jazz listeners or look for another gig.  Smooth is NOT the way we want to go.   >>>

Smooth is definitely not the way to go because the music without wrinkles also attracts similar demos as far as age is concerned

About 3 years facing an increase in the "graying of the audience" we initiated a block to attract younger demos. From Mon thru Thur, 10p to 12a we began the Jazz Odyssey, hosted by a different volunteer each night. They play groove or jam bands, groups like E S T, Charlie Hunter, the Verve or Blue Note remixed compilations, Roy Hargrove's RH Factor, Wallace Roney with dee jay,  Nguyen Lé, Marc Ribot, Christian Scott, Sergio Mendes-his outout of the last several years, Christian McBride, funky bands, Headhunters, Dr Lonnie Smith's tribute to Beck, music like that.

What has happened is that we now have a very dedicated listenership during the J O with a high TSL. We have also noticed that some of those new-younger listeners have picked up on our other specialty shows as well as our mainstream jazz shifts due to our show promos aired during the Odyssey.

The same has happened with 2 other specialty shows we started a few years ago on Saturday nights,  A Funk Above the Rest(new and classic funk), 9 til 11pm and a neo-soul/hip hop show, Mahogany Soul Child from 11p to 1a. All of these shows stay away from commercial radio hits and play album cuts by those artists heard on commercial radio alongside the artists not heard on commercial airwaves. As a veteran Linda, that concept surely must pardon the pun-sound familiar.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director
The Oasis In The City, The Front Range and the High Country!
jazz89KUVO 89.3FM DENVER, 89.7FM BRECKENRIDGE, KVJZ 88.5FM VAIL
Colorado's First HD FM Radio Station