[JPL] Advice again

Ed Trefzger ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com
Wed Apr 27 20:46:38 EDT 2011

Linda,

Is there an age group or demographic that's been specified by management? I was surprised to see your note, because it seems to me that WEMU has already gone further in this respect than nearly all of the stations on this list. You've already changed the sound and music mix all day long and not just in specialty or late-night hours and I've pointed out WEMU as an example of how to do that successfully. Your station's sound is much different than what I typically hear because that younger-oriented music and blues tracks are part of your programming all day long.

This thread brings to mind Joe Vella's blog post from a few weeks back about his daughter noting that much of jazz radio sounds like an old movie. I had a chance to talk with Joe a couple weeks ago and he's had some pretty strong blowback from that. But his points were mostly well-taken.

Jae's thoughts definitely seem on the mark about rhythm. I've seen jam band fans gravitate toward performers who have more of a rock/funk groove going.

Another answer might be programming one or more alternate online streams with some cross-promotion to the other sounds. For example, a stream of blues, a contemporary/groove stream and a stream formatted like Undercurrents (which WEMU and some other stations on this list carry) each could generate listenership and drive some listeners to the main signal.

We're going to talk quite a bit about internet programming at the JazzWeek Summit (http://summit.jazzweek.com/).

Ed