[JPL] America's Ducal royalty

eric jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Thu Apr 28 12:31:36 EDT 2011

On 04/28/2011 12:05 PM, Larry Appelbaum wrote:
> This week's sponsor:
>
> UNDERGROUND Lisa Hilton/piano, Nasheet Waits/drums, Larry Grenadier/bass, J.D. Allen/tenor sax
>
> UNDERGROUND continues at jazz radio this week with over 100+ stations around the country now playing the disc after just two weeks, showcasing a great start.  WRTI/PA, WICN/MA, KTSU/TX and WGMC/NY are among many with strong support on UNDERGROUND. Hilton continues her tour April 28 in Los Angeles, and  May 25 in Hollywood, CA.    "Wildly ear opening, Hilton is fully in touch with some universal vibe that lifts this session up and away.  Hot stuff." Midwest Record  "A strikingly original voice on the piano". JazzChicago.net
>
> http://www.LisaHiltonMusic.com
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMPe9gew
>
> ---
>

> you could even back it with Ellington's opera comique "Queenie Pie."

Wasn't Queenie Johnny Hodges's mother?

My father was friends with Duke and with one of his managers, Al Celley
(spelling?) whose son is a Boston area musician. Although the Queen
Suite was not widely circulated, my father had a copy of it on tape
years before it was released. I remember when a cousin of mine took the
tape so that he could listen to it. My father had a fit because he
didn't want this rare recording to disappear.

Eric Jackson
WGBH Boston
Mon -Thurs 8 PM - Mid
Sunday 10 PM - Mid.