[JPL] Advice again

Josh Woody j.woody915 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 15:50:10 EDT 2011

I'm 23, about to graduate college and subsequently step aside from my role
of Jazz Producer at WUEV.  I'm probably the type of young person that you
all are trying to reach with your jazz programs.  While I've not personally
spent any time listening to Linda's mix at Eastern Michigan U., I do read
the playlist info that she posts to the list every week and notice that it
is quite a bit different than a lot of similar stations.

I have to echo what others have said before me.  WUEV is not an NPR member
station, but I hear a lot of stories that begin "I was listening to NPR...."
- people under 30 are listening to Morning Edition and All Things
Considered. Possibly other programs too.  If you have the opportunity for
promo time inside those programs, take it!

There are two major trends I notice in young people's listening to jazz:

#1:
Vocal jazz is extremely popular, especially among young women.  Talking Kurt
Elling, John Pizarelli, and particularly Micheal Buble.  Even Sinatra and
Bennett!  Some like the slightly more esoteric sounds of the Manhattan
Transfer or the Rippingtons.  Regrettably, there isn't a huge variety of
this type of music being produced today (to my knowledge, at least).

#2:
Other than the penchant for vocal music, there is no subgenre that is
dominant.  The one thing that is clearly out of fashion among today's youth
is the three-piece all-instrumental band.  The University's Dept. of Music
puts on a series of jazz concerts every semester, typically featuring that
type of band.  Very few students show up.  Not many of them will recognize
what older people consider "standard" melodies like "Stardust" or "You Must
Believe in Spring."

More recognizable melodies work.  The current Disney Pearl release has
gotten me a lot of "Wait a minute ... is that 'Gaston'? That's awesome!"
reactions. (Or awful, that particular one has triggered quite a few
negatives...)

The other response has been to play a little more fusion and funk.

By the way, I think Jae has a very good finger on this pulse.

Cheers,
Josh

--
Josh Woody