[JPL] Playlist-Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Tribute To Dave Sanjek for Friday, 12/02/11

George Thomas gthomas at vpr.net
Sat Dec 3 00:16:29 EST 2011

Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Tribute To Dave Sanjek for Friday, 12/02/11

Tonight a tribute to Dave Sanjek, a friend who introduced me to radio in the Fall of 1972 and helped me get started 39 years ago. He was responsible for major sections of my jazz education and we shared a love of poetry and other interests including cooking. Dave introduced me to most of tonight's selections. Thanks Dave, I'll miss you.

Playlist

9:00pm
Stolen Moments
Artist Name 	Oliver Nelson
Composer 	Oliver Nelson
Soloists 	Oliver Nelson-Tenor Sax ; Eric Dolphy-Alto Sax, Flute ; Freddie Hubbard-Trumpet ; Bill Evans-Piano
CD/Album 	Blues And The Abstract Truth
Record co./Cat # 	Impulse! 5659
Release Year 	1961

9:10pm
Come On In My Kitchen
Artist Name 	Robert Johnson
Composer 	Robert Johnson
Soloists 	Robert Johnson-Guitar, Vocals
CD/Album 	The Complete Recordings
Record co./Cat # 	Columbia/Legacy 64916
Release Year 	1936

9:13pm
Slow Freight
Artist Name 	Ray Bryant
Composer 	Ray Bryant
Soloists 	Ray Bryant -Piano
CD/Album 	Trio Today
Record co./Cat # 	EmArcy 832 589-2
Release Year 	1987

9:19pm
I Come From Jamaica
Artist Name 	Chris Powell And His Blue Flames
Composer 	Chris Powell
Soloists 	Clifford Brown-Trumpet
CD/Album 	Clifford Brown - The Beginning And The End
Record co./Cat # 	Columbia/Legacy 66491
Release Year 	1952

9:25pm
Autumn Leaves
Artist Name 	Julian "Cannonball" Adderley
Composer 	Kosma, Mercer. Prevert
Soloists 	Julian "Cannonball" Adderley-Alto Sax ; Miles Davis-Trumpet ; Hank Jones-Piano ; Sam Jones-Bass ; Art Blakey-Drums
CD/Album 	Somethin' Else
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 7 46338 2
Release Year 	1958

9:35pm
St. Thomas
Artist Name 	Sonny Rollins
Composer 	Sonny Rollins
Soloists 	Sonny Rollins-Tenor Sax ; Tommy Flanagan-Piano ; Doug Watkins-Bass ; Max Roach-Drums
CD/Album 	Saxophone Colossus
Record co./Cat # 	Prestige 8105-2
Release Year 	1956

9:44pm
Blues For Smoke
Artist Name 	Jaki Byard
Composer 	Jaki Byard
Soloists 	Jaki Byard-Piano
CD/Album 	Blues For Smoke
Record co./Cat # 	Candid 79018
Release Year 	1960

9:50pm
Delilah
Artist Name 	Clifford Brown-Max Roach Quintet
Composer 	Victor Young
Soloists 	Clifford Brown-Trumpet ; Harold Land-Tenor Sax ; Richie Powell-Piano ; George Morrow-Bass ; Max Roach-Drums
CD/Album 	Brownie - The Complete EmArcy Recordings Of
Record co./Cat # 	EmArcy 838 306-2
Release Year 	1954

9:59pm
Hummin' To Myself
Artist Name 	Dave Van Ronk
Composer 	Magidson, Siegel, Sammy Fain
Soloists 	Dave Van Ronk-Vocals ; Harry Allen-Tenor Sax ; Keith Ingham-Piano ; John Pizzarelli-Guitar
CD/Album 	Hummin' To Myself
Record co./Cat # 	Gazell 2004
Release Year 	1990

10:05pm
Jitterbug Waltz
Artist Name 	Rahsaan Roland Kirk
Composer 	Fats Waller
Soloists 	Rahsaan Roland Kirk-Manzello, Stritch
CD/Album 	Bright Moments
Record co./Cat # 	Rhino/Atlantic Jazz 71409-2
Release Year 	1973

10:12pm
Song For My Father
Artist Name 	The Horace Silver Quintet
Composer 	Horace Silver
Soloists 	Joe Henderson-Tenor Sax ; Horace Silver-Piano
CD/Album 	Song For My Father
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 7-84185-2
Release Year 	1964

10:19pm
I'm In The Mood For Love
Artist Name 	King Pleasure & Blossom Dearie
Composer 	Dorothy Fields, Jimmy McHugh
Soloists 	King Pleasure-Vocals ; Blossom Dearie-Vocals
CD/Album 	The Bebop Singers
Record co./Cat # 	Prestige 24216-2
Release Year 	1952

10:12pm
Four
Artist Name 	Joe Henderson with the Wynton Kelly Trio
Composer 	Miles Davis
Soloists 	Joe Henderson-Tenor Sax ; Wynton Kelly-Piano ; Paul Chambers-Bass ; Jimmy Cobb-Drums
CD/Album 	Four!
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 36572
Release Year 	1968
Note 	Birthday: Wynton Kelly 12.2.1931

10:37pm
Freddie Freeloader
Artist Name 	Miles Davis
Composer 	Miles Davis
Soloists 	Miles Davis-Trumpet ; Cannonball Adderley-Alto Sax ; John Coltrane-Tenor Sax ; Wynton Kelly-Piano ; Paul Chambers-Bass ; Jimmy Cobb-Drums
CD/Album 	Kind Of Blue - Legacy Edition
Record co./Cat # 	Columbia/Legacy 45885-2
Release Year 	1959
Note 	Birthday: Wynton Kelly 12.2.1931

10:47pm
In The Red
Artist Name 	Abbey Lincoln
Composer 	Max Roach, Abbey Lincoln, Chips Bayen
Arranger 	Booker Little
Soloists 	Abbey Lincoln-Vocals ; Coleman Hawkins-Tenor Sax ; Max Roach-Drums ; Mal Waldren-Piano
CD/Album 	Straight Ahead
Record co./Cat # 	Candid 79015
Release Year 	1961

10:55pm
The Mellow Blues
Artist Name 	Jimmy Yancey
Composer 	Jimmy Yancey
Soloists 	Jimmy Yancey-Piano
CD/Album 	Boogie Woogie And Blues Piano
Record co./Cat # 	Mosaic Select 30
Release Year 	1939

11:01pm
I'll Remember April
Artist Name 	Charles Mingus
Composer 	Vernon Duke, E.Y. Yip Harburg
Soloists 	Charles Mingus-Bass ; Bud Powell-Piano ; Dannie Richmond-Drums ; Ted Curson-Trumpet ; Eric Dolphy-Alto Sax ; Booker Ervin-Tenor Sax
CD/Album 	Mingus At Antibes
Record co./Cat # 	Atlantic 2-3001-2
Release Year 	1960

11:15pm
Things Ain't What They Used To Be
Artist Name 	Cecil Taylor & Buell Neidlinger
Composer 	Mercer Ellington
Soloists 	Cecil Taylor-Piano ; Buell Neidlinger-Bass ; Steve Lacy-Soprano Sax ; Archie Shepp-Tenor Sax ; Clark Terry-Trumpet ; Roswell Rudd-Trombone
CD/Album 	The Complete Candid Recordings Of Cecil Taylor & Buell Neidlinger
Record co./Cat # 	Mosaic 4-127
Release Year 	1961
Note 	Set is Out Of Print

11:25pm
Steppin'
Artist Name 	World Saxophone Quartet
Composer 	Julius Hemphill
Soloists 	David Murray-Bass Clarinet ; Julius Hemphill-Soprano Sax ; Oliver Lake-Soprano Sax ; Hamiet Bluiett-Alto Flute
CD/Album 	Jazz - The Smithsonian Anthology
Record co./Cat # 	Smithsonian/Folkways 40820
Release Year 	1981
Note 	New Reissue

11:35pm
Stormy Weather
Artist Name 	Charles Mingus
Composer 	Arlen, Koehler
Soloists 	Ted Curson-Trumpet ; Eric Dolphy-Alto Sax ; Charles Mingus-Bass ; Dannie Richmond-Drums
CD/Album 	The Complete Candid Recordings Of Charles Mingus
Record co./Cat # 	Mosaic 3-111
Release Year 	1960

11:48pm
Yearnin'
Artist Name 	Oliver Nelson
Composer 	Oliver Nelson
Soloists 	Oliver Nelson-Tenor Sax ; Eric Dolphy-Alto Sax ; Bill Evans-Piano ; Freddie Hubbard-Trumpet
CD/Album 	Blues And The Abstract Truth
Record co./Cat # 	Impulse! 5659
Release Year 	1961

11:54pm