[JPL] Zappa, MOJA Grammy's, 'Mo Jaco & more of Medeski, Martin & Wood's "20" this week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Dec 4 20:47:53 EST 2011

Can you believe Frank Zappa would be 71 on December 21st?  Unreal.  Also...the Grammy nominations are out and a bunch of MOJA's greats got nominations (see the whole list on our website)...Medeski, Martin & Wood just released 3 more new tunes from their down-load only release "20" and we've got 'em for you this week and there's much more!  Come & Get It!!!
Russ Davis
Voice of America
MOJA Radio
www.mojaradio.com
davispro at nyc.rr.com

Russ Davis here, and this week we’ll start things with one, last celebration of the birthday of one of the all-time great MOJANS…the incredible bassist, composer, bandleader and musical visionary JACO PASTORIUS on Monday With The Masters! Then…we’ll begin a week of special features celebrating the many MOJA GRAMMY NOMINEES and another major MOJA birthday, the 71st birthday of the late, great FRANK ZAPPA! You’ll hear live performances by Randy Brecker, Chick Coea, Stanley Clarke & Lenny White, and The Yellowjackets, MOJA GRAMMY NOMINEES ALL, on Live @ MOJALand. You’ll hear Frank Zappa’s Greatest Fusion Hits on Fusion Friday, and spend the day with a number of the MOJA Greats who have received Grammy Nominations this year on Saturday’s Words & Music. You’ll hear three brand, new cuts from Medeski, Martin & Wood’s new release “20” along with 4 other new ones on The All New Music Revue. Plus you’ll also get our weekly features, The Attack of The Jazzy Jambands and This Is Acid Jazz.

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (5-11 December 2011)

This Monday, December 5th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. This Monday we’ll feature an hour of the music of possibly the most famous bassist in modern jazz, JACO PASTORIUS.  Just four days after what would have been his 60th birthday we’ll give you a full hour of some of Jaco’s finest music…solo, with Weather Report and more. Plus you’ll hear some of Jaco’s own words as well those of some of his many musical friends and admirers to shed light on his wonderful career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on and celebrate the 60th birthday of the great JACO PASTORIUS!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen to our special feature THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

Back in the day when rock bands like The Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers Band took their songs on long, improvised journeys and in essence incorporated jazz elements, the stage was set for what became a major part of what we call MOJA…jambands and especially those who set out primarily to make jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen five times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS! You can hear it at NOON East/9 AM West every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, plus twice on Sunday at NOON Eastern/9 AM Pacific and Midnight EAST/9 PM West as part of the Sunday Specials.  Following The Dead & The Allmans came Phish then grunge from Seattle.  At the same time American Acid Jazz artists like Karl Denson & Robert Walter started attracting the same fans. Those fans began to follow Galactic and other new artists from NOLA, Medeski, Martin & Wood, John Scofield and the great artists of the North West like Skerik, and San Francisco-area groove artists like Charlie Hunter & Will Bernard! It’s jazz mixed with prog rock and punk, funk and groove, heavy metal and alternative rock. The fans of this music don’t need lyrics, they need the groove and you’ll get it all if you join us for ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS five times each week on MOJA Radio!

It’s MOJA GRAMMY NOMINEE WEEK on MOJA Radio and part of the celebration happens on LIVE @ MOJALand which you can hear four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world's only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific.  You can hear it again twice on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week, as we celebrate the many deserving artists who received nominations last week from the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences, we’ll give you live sets from three of those great nominees as we present 2012 MOJA GRAMMY NOMINEES LIVE. Since Randy Brecker received three nominations for his big band recording The Jazz Ballad Songbook, with Denmark’s D R Big Band, we’ll feature him first with two of Europe’s great big bands, Sweden’s Norbotten Big Band, and Germany’s WDR Big Band. Then, as we celebrate the two nominations for the Yellowjackets release Timeline we’ll feature the ‘Jackets in live performances from The Detroit Jazz Festival and the Paris Jazz Club, the New Morning. Then, we’ll top it off with RTF IV live as we celebrate the two nominations for the Corea, Clarke & White Forever. Join in the celebration, it’s 2012 MOJA GRAMMY NOMINEES LIVE, this week on LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM ET This week we’ll give you music from five new releases including one that both old and new at the same time, the remastered and re-released Don Sebesky album called “Giant Box,”  released in 1973 on the CTI label and featuring an all-star cast. Then, you’ll hear 3 more new cuts from Medeski, Martin & Wood’s  download-only release “20,” which honors their  20th year together. We’ll give you a new release titled “Five Aces” from pianist Bill King and a blazing trio that blends blues, groove and classic R&B with fine and funky results. Then we’ll top it all off with two world music projects including German-born harmonica & vibes master Hendrik Meurkens in a Brazilian frame of mind on the new release titled “Live at Bird’s Eye,” recorded in Basel, Switzerland.  Then you’ll hear “Piazzolla in Brooklyn,” the work of New York-based, Argentine bassist Pablo Aslan and his band taking on the 1959 work of Astor Piazzolla. So if you want to hear the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week! To hear the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week! Here’s the new music you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…SONG…ALBUM (LABEL)

·       Don Sebesky…Semi-Tough…Giant Box (CTI)
·       Hendrik Meurkens…Lingua De Mosquito…Live at Bird’s Eye (Zoho)
·       Medeski, Martin & Wood…Seashack…20 (mmw.net)
·       Bill King Trio…I Can’t Turn You Loose…Five Aces (7 Arts)
·       Bill King Trio…Stax ‘Em High…Five Aces (7 Arts)
·       Pablo Aslan Quintet…Show Off…Piazzolla In Brooklyn (Soundbrush)
·       Pablo Aslan Quintet…Something Strange…Piazzolla In Brooklyn (Soundbrush)
·       Medeski, Martin & Wood…Nuba…20 (mmw.net)
·       Medeski, Martin & Wood…Palo Santo…20 (mmw.net)
·       Hendrik Meurkens…Sambatropolis…Live at Bird’s Eye (Zoho)
·       Hendrik Meurkens…Noa Noa…Live at Bird’s Eye (Zoho)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  As we prepare to celebrate what would have been Frank Zappa’s 71st birthday on Wednesday, December 21st, we’ll focus on the work of this musical genius during the 60’s and 70’s with a special feature we call “FRANK ZAPPA’S GREATEST FUSION HITS.” Zappa himself maintained that the music he made was not jazz but when you think about the great jazzers of the day like Jean-Luc Ponty, George Duke, Dave Samuels, Randy & Michael Brecker and Ronnie Cuber who worked with him, it’s easy to disagree. There’s lots of improvisation in the music of Zappa on albums like Hot Rats, Chunga’s Revenge, Waka/Jawaka, The Grand Wazoo, Apostrophe, Zappa in New York and more, and you’ll hear them all if you join us for  “FRANK ZAPPA’S GREATEST FUSION HITS,” this week on IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday, December 10th, you’re invited to celebrate with the artists who received some happy news last week as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “MOJA’S 2012 GRAMMY NOMINEES!” Everyone knows that the Grammy Awards are a less-than perfect list of winners and nominees as each year a number of deserving artists are overlooked, especially in the music we call MOJA. That being said, considering the various oversights in the selection of nominees, all in all this year’s group looks pretty good and generally representative of the broad range of styles and artists who make this music that we love so much.  So this Saturday you’ll hear the thoughts of and Grammy-nominated music by Corea, Clarke & White, that’s Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke & Lenny White of course, The Yellowjackets, Randy Brecker, Bela Fleck, Terri Lyne Carrington, Kurt Elling, Christian McBride and Dave Valentin. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). Join us for “MOJA’S 2012 GRAMMY NOMINEES,” this week on WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for four of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. Then we’ll wrap it all up at Noon and Midnight East/9 AM & 9 PM West with an encore airing of an hour of Jamband Jazz with ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to 1 PM Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to 1 AMEastern/6-10 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!

Russ Davis
MoJaRadio
“Jazz In The Present Tense!”
www.mojaradio.com