[JPL] The Jazz Session newsletter

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Tue Dec 6 07:43:28 EST 2011

For the snazzy PDF version of this newsletter, click this link:
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/111206_tjs_newsletter.pdf

DECEMBER 6, 2011

Hello friends!

Due to a couple things that have popped up in my personal life, I've
been unable to record new interviews for this week. Never fear, the show
will be back to normal next week. For now, enjoy the rest of the
newsletter and some shows that you might have missed the first time around.

Speaking of interviews, I've done several video interviews for the
recently launched JazzDIY, including:

Todd Barkan: http://bit.ly/srkPT5
Amy Cervini: http://bit.ly/uNRDaK
Adam Schatz – coming soon!

There's a ton of great content at JazzDIY.com, so be sure to visit often.

There are quite a few new poems over at http://jasoncrane.org. I've also
returned to my old practice of posting audio versions along with the
poems so you can hear them, not just read them. And I created a page of
recordings of full readings from some of the featured performances I've
done around New York State.

The Jazz Session is member-supported, so if you like what you hear,
please join. Right now there's a special offer for new members at the
middle and top levels (monthly or yearly). The next two people to join
at one of those levels with receive Anthony Wilson's DVD/CD set Seasons.
Join now at http://thejazzsession.com/join

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

***********************

 From The Jazz Session archives:

TJS #34: Laurie Pepper on Art Pepper (December 2007). In the first of
Laurie Pepper's two appearances, she talks about two sets of previously
unreleased live recordings by Art Pepper — Unreleased Art, Vol. 1: The
Complete Abashiri Concert — November 22, 1981 (Widow’s Taste, 2006) and
Unreleased Art, Vol. 2: The Last Concert (Widow’s Taste, 2007). Both
concerts show Pepper at the height of his emotional expression, and
still very much in command of his instrument. In this interview, Laurie
Pepper talks about the concerts and the process of
releasing them, and also gives insight into the troubled and triumphant
life of her husband. LISTEN: http://bit.ly/kl8X39

TJS #127: James Shipp (December 2009). Percussionist and vibraphonist
James Shipp is making music without borders. With his band Nos Novo,
Shipp has just released Strange Sweethearts In America (Shippwrite
Music, 2009), a fascinating and fun mix of traditional Irish melodies
and rhythms with Brazilian music and collective improvisation. In this
interview, Shipp talks about the genesis of the band; provides a guide
to the varying ingredients on the album; and talks about what makes each
of these styles so special to him. LISTEN: http://bit.ly/pVnMhg

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

RSS Feed: http://thejazzsession.com/feed/?category_name=podcast

iTunes: itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast