[JPL] Christmas Tunes?

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Wed Dec 7 08:29:18 EST 2011

In view of the fact that next week is the centennial of Stan Kenton (Dec.
15), I nominate for consideration the medley from Kenton's "Merry Christmas"
 CD. With arrangements by Ralph Carmichael, the band's configuration is
basically a brass choir (trumpets, trombones, mellophoniums) with rhythm: no
reeds. The medley seems to meet your qualifications regarding weather. Also
on  this CD but not on the original LP is Christmas for Moderns, by Maynard
Ferguson.

Also, the New England Jazz Ensemble's arrangement of Rudolph the Red-Nosed
Reindeer meets your qualifications (absence of weather references); it has
a New  Orleans-style beat. It's from their CD named "Wishes You a Cookin'
Christmas"  (JPL members: let me know off-list if you need a copy). Most of
this CD  comprises the Strayhorn/Ellington Nutcracker.

At the other end of the scale, anything from the George Shearing Christmas
CD lifts my spirits.

Ed

In a message dated 12/7/2011 12:51:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,