[JPL] Christmas Tunes? More New Releases

Tom Mallison tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com
Wed Dec 7 10:38:52 EST 2011

The new releases by Ellis Marsalis and Bill Cunliffe of Holiday
selections are both very good.  Also, Chris Bauer and Chris Davis have
new Holiday offerings.  Bradley Layton has a nice Flute offering for the
Holidays.  ALOHA  Tom

On 12/7/2011 9:59 AM, Jerry Maddock wrote:

> Not Christmas per se, but seasonal for sure, is Larry McKenna and
> Melissa Gilstrap's "Perhaps This Wintertime" from Larry's CD, PROFILE
> (Dreambox Media).  It features a beautiful vocal by Nancy Reed, and
> should become a seasonal classic, in my book.  December 6th is
> Gilstrap's birthday, so I included it on my show that evening
> (playlist to follow).  She not only wrote the lyrics to "Perhaps" but
> also rendered the sketch of McKenna for the cover art.
>
> Jerry Maddock
> Jazz Host
> KGNU
> Boulder 88.5 FM
> Denver 1390 AM
> Streaming at KGNU.org <http://www.kgnu.org>
>
> On 12:59 PM, Blaise Lantana wrote:
>> Great idea Eric.  Here in Arizona, it IS winter but it's a palm tree 40
>> degree winter. There is one tune by Judy Roberts called Desert
>> wonderland,
>> where she creates a winter wonderland of western treats, like tamales.
>> I'll play that and Michael Franks song, " I bought you a plastic star
>> for
>> your aluminum tree"  about Christmas in the sunny states.  I also like
>> Diana Krall's version of Joni Mitchell's" I wish I Had a River".
>>
>> Blaise Lantana
>> Muisic Director
>> KJZZ Phoenix
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Eric at Jazz Rendezvous<
>> eric at jazzrendezvous.co.za>  wrote:
>>
>>> Christmas promotions, sales and music is all the rage once again world
>>> wide.
>>> Whilst I remember as a child enjoying hearing all the hoary old
>>> classics,
>>> but as I've grown older I've become somewhat cynical hearing those
>>> tunes
>>> and
>>> songs on other radio stations in my country.
>>>
>>> Why, well I live in the southern hemisphere and Christmas falls in the
>>> middle of summer, therefore I have encouraged South African Jazz
>>> Musicians
>>> to come up with tunes and songs that reflect the weather conditions
>>> over
>>> the
>>> festive period in our half or the world.
>>>
>>> I have also taken the decision of playing no songs or tunes that
>>> include
>>> the
>>> following words, winter, snow, white in fact anything that refers to
>>> weather
>>> conditions in the northern hemisphere. I am also pleased to say that
>>> a few
>>> jazz musicians have taken up the challenge and have received their new
>>> works.
>>>
>>> I like many radio presenters around the world will be working on
>>> Christmas
>>> Night (in South Africa) and will be playing my entire show featuring