[JPL] Clark Terry

Louis Erlanger louisx at myfairpoint.net
Fri Dec 9 11:51:17 EST 2011

I have personal experience with Clark Terry's encounters with racism.  My
childhood was spent in a middle class white neighborhood in Queens, NY.  It
was the early 1960s and my mother belonged to one of a number of fair
housing groups that were springing up as part of an effort to integrate
neighborhoods.  She worked with Clark Terry to find his family a house in
our neighborhood.  I remember when he came by our house. I was about 9 or 10
and he played catch with me in the backyard. Unfortunately, my mother was
not successful in getting him a house, and many of our neighbors stopped
talking to her, as they considered her a troublemaker.  But I remember how
warm Clark Terry was towards me and my brother and sister, and it was the
first time I understood that someone could make a profession out of playing
jazz.  I soon after asked my piano teacher to cut down on the classical and
add some jazz, which he did. My mother was grateful, because I started to
willingly practice.