[JPL] No mercy: Hajdu on Kenton

Carol Sudhalter carolsudhalter at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 10 09:29:05 EST 2011

Is he SERIOUS???

Thank God for articles like this:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/music_box/2009/02/great_composers_lousy_reviews.html

...which remind us of what critics have said about other 'dubious' talents like Stravinsky, Chopin, Wagner. Here's a quote on Chopin! Incredible!:
These days, people tend to feel that Wagner's contemporary Chopin wrote nice tunes, but that was not the opinion of one Berlin critic: "In search of ear-rending dissonances, torturous transitions, sharp modulations, repugnant contortions of melody and rhythm, Chopin is altogether indefatigable."

Go figure!!! Thanks for sharing the article.