[Norton AntiSpam]RE: [JPL] No mercy: Hajdu on Kenton

Simpson, Richard RSIMPSON at sbu.edu
Sat Dec 10 23:02:06 EST 2011

Louis, we haven't met--I'm Rick Simpson.  I'm on the list as a latecomer and ignoramus.  I'm in the English Dept at St. Bonaventure.
I've done a jazz show, first time in my life, for a couple of years--an hour a week--on the student-run campus station at the invitation
of the students.  I've played the music (tenor player) and followed it since I was a kid in the 50s.  I write a fair number of commentaries on,
reviews of, contemporary American poetry (contrib ed for a couple of journals, one since the late 70s).  Just want to say that I like
what you say below a whole lot, but I also am not sure I agree completely.  I like to think my way as intensely through a review as I can,
at the same time that emotions are going full blast.  I much prefer to talk about what I like and why, rather than slice and dice what I dislike.
But I don't completely disagree with Hajdu on Kenton.  For better of worse I've found Kenton unlistenable for decades, way back into
the late 50s, even when he had a bunch of players and writers I loved in other circumstances.  Go figure.  But when I've done my work
as a critic, haven't just shot my damn mouth off yet again, I find it possible to go back to something I wrote years before and more or less
live with it.  FWIW, Louis.  Thanks for your words below. -- Rick