[JPL] ST. JOHNS RIVER CITY BAND - OPEN HOUSE- 12/12-12/16 - Hope to see you there!

Jassgirl at aol.com Jassgirl at aol.com
Sun Dec 11 19:36:15 EST 2011

Hi, to all you jazz supporters! Please read the following letter from Bob
Stone, Ex Dir of the St. Johns River City Band. A lot of us remember this
band  from the past and the present. Right now, I'm involved in the
educational  division thru the St. Johns River City Back  Beat (a small jazz group
[piano, drums, upright bass, drums and  vocalist, me] affiliated with the
SJRCB).  We go to at least 10  local elementary schools a school year in Duval
County and share in 2  sessions (comprised of K-2nd grades & 3-5th) with them
the performance,  history, introduction of instruments, scat session
w/audience, different styles  of jazz, etc. This is accomplished right now with a
grant from the City of  Jacksonville. All of these schools are located in
areas where either the schools  receive 50% or more free lunches or 50% of the
students speak another language  besides English. Please read the
following...I'd so appreciate it. Dot Wilder,  local jazz vocalist

Hi  Everyone,
You are cordially invited to an Open House for the St.  Johns River City
Band on Monday, December 12 through Friday, December 16.
Everyone that I am inviting to the Open House is in  someway part of the
St. Johns River City Band Alumni Family – Musicians,  Singers, Donors,
Executive Directors, Staff, Guest Artists, Board of Directors,  Mayors, Conductors,
Music Directors, Partners & Volunteers. Through this  week long celebration
of the St. Johns River City Band, it is my hope to recruit  old & new
supporters that have a real genuine interest and who truly care  about the St.
Johns River City Band.
The St. Johns River City Band is moving into its  28th year of service to
the people of Jacksonville & the State of Florida. There is no  question that
the very best has always been presented to the public. The people  that
remember the early years to present day have nothing but praise for the
professionalism displayed at each & every performance. As there has not  always
been the smoothest or agreeable behind the scenes operation – the music  has
always played. If the reverse were true the music would have stopped playing
years ago.
We are at a crossroads in deciding the future direction  the St. Johns
River City Band will take to insure the music continues to play  and how we can
be an instrumental part of the Jacksonville Arts community, while  providing
needed educational & historical perspectives for what we do.
The initiatives that will be presented will be the St.  Johns River City
Band’s history, its place in the community, its volunteer  perspectives and
how the St. Johns River City Band will participate in the  community through a
new marketing focus and collaborative partnerships. The  thoughts and new
ideas that will be presented will come from all the discussions  I have had
with members of the St. Johns River City Band and community leaders  over the
past year and spending time researching the  archives.
My goal is to assemble a Team that will be engaged in  forging a positive
direction for the future of the St. Johns River City Band – I  truly believe
and care about the music continuing to play – it’s time for the  St. Johns
River City Band to come home.

OPEN HOUSE

Monday, December 12 – 9:00am –  5:00pm
Tuesday, December 13 – 11:00am –  7:00pm
Wednesday, December 14 – 7:00am -  3:00pm
Thursday, December 15 – 11:00am –  7:00pm
Friday, December 16 – 9:00am –  5:00pm

Refreshments will be  served
RSVP to Bob Stone  @390-1999
Parking is on the flat lot – your immediate  right after crossing the
railroad tracks
Please come by during the week and meet some old &  new friends and share
some time with me. If you cannot stop by, please email or  call with your
thoughts, interest and support of the St. Johns River City Band.
Bob Stone
 St.  Johns  River City Band
Board President
841  Prudential Drive, Suite 150