[JPL] Playlist: Notable Jazz Recordings of 2011: The Vinyl Side of Midnight

Mike Stratton dreamtrane at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 19:45:30 EST 2011

It's a countdown to the top 50 new jazz recordings from 2011. I haven't
heard everything (obviously) so this is a subjective and limited list. For
instance, I NEED to check out J.D. Allen, Marcus Strickland and Orrin
Evans' new releases. But here is the thirty recordings we'll whiz through
tonight.

Next week will be the top 20.

Here's a list of the recordings we'll play tonight:

Yellowjackets - TIMELINE (Mack Avenue Records)
Kevin Eubanks - ZENFOOD (Mack Avenue Records)
Headhunters - PLATINUM (Owl Studios)
Corea, Clarke & White - FOREVER (Concord)
Cinque - CATCH A CORNER (Alma Records)
Deep Blue Organ Trio - WONDERFUL! (Origin Records)
Tedeschi/Trucks Band - REVELATOR (Sony)
Gregg Allman - LOW COUNTRY BLUES (Rounder Records)
Tom Waits - BAD AS ME (Anti-)
Sean Jones - NO NEED FOR WORDS (Mack Avenue Records)
Stefon Harris, David Sanchez, Christian Scott - NINETY MILES (Concord)
Yotam - BRASIL (Jazz Legacy Productions)
Wayne Wallace Latin Jazz Quintet - TO HEAR FROM THERE (Patois Records)
James Farm - JAMES FARM (Nonesuch Records)
Rebirth Brass Band - REBIRTH OF NEW ORLEANS (Basin Street Records)
Maureen Choi - MAUREEN CHOI QUARTET
Kenny Werner w/the Brussels Jazz Orchestra - INSTITUTE OF HIGHER LEARNING
(Half Note)
Cuong Vu 4-Tet - LEAPS OF FAITH (Origin Records)
Lola Regenthal - WITH YOU (Origin Records)
Pat Metheny - WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT (Nonesuch Records)
Donald Harrison - THIS IS JAZZ (Half Note Records)
The Tierney Sutton Band - AMERICAN ROAD (BFM Jazz)
Jeff "Tain" Watts - FAMILY (Dark Keys)
Jane Ira Bloom - WINGWALKER (Outline)
Thomas Marriott - HUMAN SPIRIT (Origin Records)
Chris Parello - THINGS I WONDER (Popopomo)
Steven Lugerner Septet - NARRATIVES
Randy Brecker w/DR Big Band - THE JAZZ BALLAD SONG BOOK (Red Dot Music)
Betty Baxter - LOVE REMEMBERS (Satin Sounds)
The New Gary Burton Quartet - COMMON GROUND (Mack Avenue Records)

Listen on 89.7fm WLNZ in the Lansing area; or http://www.lcc.edu/radio/