[JPL] This week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Dec 12 17:15:33 EST 2011

Here's all the special programs I'll be presenting this week, starting with an hour-long salute to Frank Zappa on Monday with the Masters tonight at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific.

Russ Davis
Voice of America
MOJA Radio
www.mojaradio.com
davispro at nyc.rr.com

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (12-18 December 2011)

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen to our special feature THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

Back in the day when rock bands like The Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers Band took their songs on long, improvised journeys and in essence incorporated jazz elements, the stage was set for what became a major part of what we call MOJA…jambands and especially those who set out primarily to make jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen five times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS! You can hear it at NOON East/9 AM West every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, plus twice on Sunday at NOON Eastern/9 AM Pacific and Midnight EAST/9 PM West as part of the Sunday Specials.  Following The Dead & The Allmans came Phish then grunge from Seattle.  At the same time American Acid Jazz artists like Karl Denson & Robert Walter started attracting the same fans. Those fans began to follow Galactic and other new artists from NOLA, Medeski, Martin & Wood, John Scofield and the great artists of the North West like Skerik, and San Francisco-area groove artists like Charlie Hunter & Will Bernard! It’s jazz mixed with prog rock and punk, funk and groove, heavy metal and alternative rock. The fans of this music don’t need lyrics, they need the groove and you’ll get it all if you join us for ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS five times each week on MOJA Radio!

As MOJA great Mike Mainieri leads the all-star band L’Image featuring Steve Gadd, Warren Bernhardt, David Spinozza and Tony Levin at New York City’s Iridium all this week, we’ll look back at another of Mike’s groups and one of MOJA’s greatest bands as they began their work outside the USA on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand as we present STEPS AHEAD LIVE IN TOKYO 1986. You can hear LIVE @ MOJALand four times each week here on MOJA Radio.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM ET and again Wednesday night at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM ET, as part of the Sunday Specials. The lineup of the illustrious band Steps Ahead has been an ever-changing one filled with superstar players, and the incarnation of Steps Ahead that took the stage in Tokyo in 1986 featuring Mike Mainieri, Michael Brecker, Mike Stern, Daryl Jones and Steve Smith was one of the very best.  Not only will you hear Steps Ahead classics like “Safari,” “Oops,” and “Trains” performed live, but you’ll hear the story from Mike Mainieri himself about how it was Japan where the group was born and received its first great success. You’ll hear a truly astounding performance and witness MOJA history when you join us for STEPS AHEAD LIVE IN TOKYO 1986 on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM ET This week we’ll give you more from some releases we debuted last week including a new release titled “Five Aces” from pianist Bill King and a blazing trio that blends blues, groove and classic R&B with fine and funky results and the work of New York-based, Argentine bassist Pablo Aslan and his band taking on the 1959 work of Astor Piazzolla on the album Piazzolla in Brooklyn. We’ll follow that with two that are both old and new at the same time, two more remastered and re-released albums that are part of the 40th anniversary of the famed CTI label. It’s Freddie Hubbard’s 1975 album called First Light,  and Stanley Turrentine’s 1971 release Salt Song, both featuring an all-star cast of their fellow CTI all-stars like Billy Cobham, Hubert Laws, Eric Gale, George Benson, Ron Cater and others. Then you’ll hear a jazzy jamband from Massachusetts called Boombasnap and the album “The Dawn,” that features the music of an artist we’ve heard solo on MOJA Radio, keyboardist Cory Schechtman. And, you’ll hear some all-star collaborations featuring Christian McBride & Dee Dee Bridegwater from Christian’s new release Conversations With Christian and the powerhouse trio of Donald Harrison, Ron Cater and Billy Cobham recorded live at the New York City Blue Note with This Is Jazz. So if you want to hear the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week! Here’s the new music you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…SONG…ALBUM (LABEL)

·       Pablo Aslan Quintet…Triunfal…Piazzolla In Brooklyn (Soundbrush)
·       Boombasnap…Trials Of Trinket…The Dawn (Boombasnap)
·       Stanley Turrentine…Storm…Salt Song (CTI)
·       Freddie Hubbard…First Light…First Light (CTI)
·       Christian McBride & Dee Dee Bridgewater…It’s Your Thing…Conversations (Mack Avenue)
·       Donald Harrison…Treme Swagger…This Is Jazz (HalfNote Records)
·       Bill King Trio…There It Is…Five Aces (7 Arts)
·       Bill King Trio…Ivory Town…Five Aces (7 Arts)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  This week we’ll place our spotlight on one of the unsung heroes of Fusion with a special feature we call “THE JAN HAMMER EFFECT.” I predict that you will be astounded by the incredible list of artists the Czechosovakian-born keyboardist Jan Hammer worked with after coming to America from Prague in the late 1960’s. In 1971 he became a member of Mahavishnu Orchestra and played  on albums like Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire and Between Nothingness and Eternity. Soon he was in demand for projects like Billy Cobham’s 1973 release Spectrum. He recorded his own albums like Oh Yeah?, and with the Jan Hammer Group helped Jeff Beck create his incredible Fusion classics like Wired and There & Back.. He was featured on Tony Williams’ classic The Joy Of Flying, and collaborated on brilliant Fusion works like Al Di Meola’s Electric Rendezvous, Stanley Clarke’s debut solo album Stanley Clarke, Lenny White’s album Big City and more. He may be the most prolific fusion master you never heard of, but you’ll know all about him if you join us for  “THE JAN HAMMER EFFECT,” this week on IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday, December 17th, you’re invited to listen in on conversations that Russ Davis enjoyed with 12 MOJA artists for the first time as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “BEST OF 2011 PART ONE: GLAD TO MEET YOU!” We’ve gotten to know a number of artists over the years and in 2011 we got busy by adding a number of new artists to our list. This Saturday you’ll hear from a dozen of them who spent some time with Russ including Kurt Rosenwinkel, Darcy James Argue, Julian Lage, Tigran Hamasyan, Lars & Martin Horntveth of Jaga Jazzist, Terri Lyne Carrington, Sammy Figueroa, Kevin Eubanks, Ada Rovatti, Romero Lubambo, Bob Belden and Frank Gambale of RTF IV. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). Join us for “BEST OF 2011 PART ONE: GLAD TO MEET YOU,” this week on WORDS & MUSIC.

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (19-25 December 2011)

We’ll kick off a week-long celebration of one of MOJA’s greatest stars on Monday, December 19th, as we present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. This Monday we’ll feature an hour of the music of one of the most famous and popular drummers in modern jazz, LENNY WHITE.  On the very day that marks his 62nd birthday we’ll give you a full hour of some of Lenny’s finest musical moments…solo, with the super-group of Fusion, Return To Forever and Miles Davis. Plus you’ll hear some of Lenny’s own words to shed light on his wonderful career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on and wish a very happy birthday to the great LENNY WHITE!

Twice every Sunday listen for four of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. Then we’ll wrap it all up at Noon and Midnight East/9 AM & 9 PM West with an encore airing of an hour of Jamband Jazz with ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to 1 PM Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to 1 AMEastern/6-10 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!