[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Michael Bates and Adam Schatz!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Thu Dec 15 15:18:53 EST 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/111215_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

Dec. 15, 2011

Hello friends!

Incriminating Photo: Recently my younger son John gave himself a mohawk
using hair gel. I told that to my barber today, so he gave me a
temporary mohawk so I could send the picture to my kids. If you're
reading the PDF version of this newsletter, here's the terrible vision
of my mohawk. Some things you just can't unsee.

Special Membership Offer: The Jazz Session is member-supported, so if
you like what you hear, please join. The next two people who join at the
middle or top level (yearly or monthly) will receive guitarist Anthony
Wilson's new DVD/CD set Seasons. This set captures a unique live
performance by Wilson along with Steve Cardenas, Julian Lage and Chico
Pinheiro, performing on a quartet of custom guitars built by John
Monteleone. http://thejazzsession.com/join

New Poems:
"Orion on Prospect Avenue" http://bit.ly/tJIFEE
"expenses" http://bit.ly/ttJacS
And a page of my recorded readings as a featured poet: http://bit.ly/uxObTq

Widget: If you add AAJ's The Jazz Session widget to your site, let me
know and I'll mention you in this newsletter. Thanks to
http://dclivemusic.com for adding it. Get the widget: http://bit.ly/o4LjvZ

Twitter: Earlier this year I was named by the LA Times as one of 25 arts
& culture people to follow on Twitter. Think they're nuts? Judge for
yourself: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
THIS WEEK ON THE JAZZ SESSION
*********************************

TJS #328: Michael Bates. Michael Bates’s new album is called Acrobat:
Music For, And By, Dmitri Shostakovich (Sunnyside, 2011). In this
interview, Bates talks about the appeal of Shostakovich the man and the
composer; how he used Shostakovich’s music as a starting point for his
own compositions and improvisations; and the new trio music he’s been
working on. LISTEN: http://bit.ly/tPIFVz

TJS #329: Adam Schatz. Adam Schatz is the founder of Search & Restore,
which opened its doors in late 2007 and has since become a 501(c)3
non-profit committed to bringing the artists and audiences of new jazz
and improvised music together in new ways. In this interview, Schatz
talks about the musical components of the organization’s mission and his
own pursuits as a performing musician. LISTEN: http://bit.ly/sF1lgt
NOTE: Search & Restore is fundraising until Dec. 19, 2011. Information
at jazz2012.com.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

RSS Feed: http://thejazzsession.com/feed/?category_name=podcast

iTunes: itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast