[JPL] Bob Brookmeyer RIP

Lois Gilbert jazz at jazzcorner.com
Fri Dec 16 14:45:39 EST 2011

 BOB BROOKMEYER (1929-2011) <http://www.bobbrookmeyer.com/>
 12/16/2011 11:42:39 AM - It’s with great sadness that we share the news
that Bob Brookmeyer passed away last night, just three days shy of his 82nd
birthday. Bob was an integral force in music, making some of the greatest
groups in jazz history what we know and admire today. Whether as a
composer, arranger or trombonist, his voice is immediately discernible from
the very first note, always bringing a smile and one word: "Brookmeyer."

For many of us, Bob has always been a tremendous inspiration and an
overflowing wealth of knowledge. You'd be hard to find a large ensemble
composer that doesn't have Bob's name top on their list of favorites. For
those lucky enough to have the opportunity to study with him, we were given
more than just an education in the art of being a great composer, we were
given a level of both love and support that expanded far beyond the
classroom. He had a wonderful ability to cultivate our inner strengths, yet
pull us out of our comfort zones and stretch us farther than we could have
ever imagined possible.

Bob, you were an amazing force and a fearless leader to all jazz composers.
Thank you for your years of inspiration, support, and for leaving a legacy
of music to continually inspire us for years to come.
Lois Gilbert
www.jazzcorner.com
@jazzcorner
917-686-8210