[JPL] Bob Brookmeyer RIP

s8nochaser at aol.com s8nochaser at aol.com
Fri Dec 16 14:57:21 EST 2011

Bob was one of a kind, and was extremely kind to me ( a has_been trombone player).

When my boyhood hero J.J. Johnson passed, was a loss for what to do to present a fitting tribute. Felt like whatever I might do would be from the heart, but inadequate.
I got in touch with Bob, who came on the program on very short notice and helped convey to the audience the magnitude of JJ's loss.

The happiness in his face & voice at the mention of his running mate Clark Terry was memorable to me as well.

One other time, I taped an interview with Bob, as he was doing some teaching & playing at Stanford Jazz workshop. Was able to sit in on the master class....what a treat!

RIP Mr. Brookmeyer

Mike Schwartz/KSJS