[JPL] Bob Brookmeyer RIP

J Stein jstein at berklee.edu
Fri Dec 16 22:59:48 EST 2011

Friends,

Many fitting tributes to Bob Brookmeyer as an arranger. I know him also as a wonderful instrumentalist and have spent many hours listening to him improvising jazz on his horn.

He played on many recordings. Here's one I love that flies under the radar a little bit: Night Lights, by Gerry Mulligan. Bob is a sideman, along with Art Farmer, Jim Hall, Bill Crow, and Donald Bailey. It is very mainstream, not innovative or ground-breaking, and mostly mellow. But what tasteful, impeccable, lyrical playing by every musician on the date!

All the best,

John Stein