[JPL] Bob Brookmeyer RIP

Doug Crane dcrane at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 04:01:39 EST 2011

Another great collaboration in recent years was the recording he arranged and played on with Eliane Elias and the Danish Radio Jazz Orchestra (Impulsive on Stunt Records) .  Wonderful compositions by Eliane and superb scoring by Bob.

Going back more than a few years I'd have to single out a date for Verve in 1959 called "The Blues Hot and Cold".  Jimmy Rowles, Buddy Clark and Mel Lewis in the rhythm section and one of my favorite recordings of "I Got Rhythm".  From the same era there's "The Ivory Hunters" with Bill Evans and Bob dueling it out on twin pianos.  Nothing "new" on it I guess but it's clear that they were intently listening to each other and having a lot of fun too boot.

For the season might I suggest "The Santa Claus Blues" from Traditionalism Revisited.  Bob's on piano plus some fine clarinet work from Jimmy Guiffre.

Doug Crane

KUVO Denver 89.3FM

dcrane at comcast.net