[JPL] Bob Brookmeyer RIP

DPolletta at aol.com DPolletta at aol.com
Sat Dec 17 07:38:41 EST 2011

In a message dated 12/16/2011 11:00:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jstein at berklee.edu writes:

Friends,

Many fitting tributes to Bob Brookmeyer as an  arranger. I know him also as
a wonderful instrumentalist and have spent many  hours listening to him
improvising jazz on his horn.

He played on many  recordings. Here's one I love that flies under the radar
a little bit: Night  Lights, by Gerry Mulligan. Bob is a sideman, along
with Art Farmer, Jim Hall,  Bill Crow, and Donald Bailey. It is very
mainstream, not innovative or  ground-breaking, and mostly mellow. But what tasteful,
impeccable, lyrical  playing by every musician on the date!>
""Night Lights" is a wonderful date.  Lonehill reissued it, IIRC in a  disc
called The Complete Gerry Mulligan Sextet."  They also did one of for  the
Mulligan/Brookmeyer Quartet...as well as collecting the session he made with
 Clark Terry.
Love Bob's playing on "Jazz Reunion" with Pee Wee Russell and Coleman
Hawkins...and a great 3 cd box Mosaic did features "Traditionalism Revisted," w/
 Jim Hall and Jimmy Giuffre, "the Street Swingers" with Hall and Jimmy
Raney...and a couple of slightly larger groups that remind us, that for all of
his great big band writing in his later years, which often took on a kind
of  pastel, floating character, this was a guy who loved to swing KC style.

Thanks for all the good sides Bob!

Dan Polletta
WCPN-FM
ideastream