[JPL] Frank Haynes

Ed Trefzger ed at trefzgermedia.com
Sat Dec 17 14:30:38 EST 2011

Hi all,

I received this note from Frank Haynes' widow a few minutes ago:

Hello, I'm Frank Haynes' wife. I read where there were questions regarding deceased Jazz musician Frank Haynes' background. Frank Haynes was born on Oct 8, 1928 in Tulsa, Ok. to Frank Haynes, Sr., and Eula Scrugs-Haynes. He had many siblings. He served in the U.S. Air Force (band) from 1947 through 1950. Thereafter, he lived with his first wife Lillie B. Haynes and their children in Oakland, Ca. during the early 1950s. While in California he  performed with various Jazz groups at many San Francisco Jazz clubs during the 1950s and later formed his own quartet to work the Jazz circuit in California.   In 1959  Frank Haynes moved to New York City to record and to settle with Shaw-Lee (Kitty) Haynes and their new born daughter, Holliday Y. Haynes.  Frank Haynes appeared at many of NYC's finest Jazz clubs, such as Birdland, Five Spot, Village Vanguard, Village Gate; and he recorded with Dave Bailey, Randy Weston, Les McCann and others. He recorded his own album with composer, Rudy Stevenson, called "Frankly Speaking" but it was never released.  Frank Haynes died at age 37 on November 30, 1965 of both the sickle cell disease and  lung cancer at NYC's Veterans Hospital.  He loved his fellow musicians and was devoted to all things Jazz.  A Jazz funeral (the 2nd ever) was held for him by Rev. John G. Gensel, Lutheran Minister, where many Jazz notables came to pay their respects.  Frank Haynes is buried at Long Island National Cemetery, Farmingdale, LI, New York, 11735. (Grave 5714, Section 2D.) Here's his photo:

FRANK HAYNES (1928-1965)--JAZZ MUSICIAN