[JPL] Continuum, A Journey Through Jazz #67 - Christmas Moods"

Jazzevangelist scott at soulandjazz.com
Sun Dec 18 13:59:17 EST 2011

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz
Episode 67: ‘Christmas Moods’
Hosted & Produced by J. Scott Fugate

You may already be groaning at the title of this episode – but fear not! This is a Christmas episode for those that don’t really care for Christmas music – or jazz, for that matter. :-)

I did four Christmas episodes last year, all of which I've been reposting, so I wanted to do something different this season . . . feature a style of music from the jazz continuum that I have never featured before in any of my other 66 episodes.

We all know a Christmas song when we hear it – and there are countless versions of each – but there is a rather intangible mood & spirit of the season that is rarely captured in the standard songs. There is a a feeling of light & warmth, a sense of peace & unity, a calm spiritual essence and beauty that surpasses all the jingling of bells and decking of halls.

So I sought out a selection of songs that blend jazz, classical, Celtic, folk, renaissance and electronica. While they may not have anything specifically to do with Christmas or the Holiday season – they all capture a particular essence that’s hard to put your finger on.

The songs I have assembled feature such artists as Vince Guaraldi, Sean Harkness, Ralph Towner, Lynne Arriale Fan Page, Metamora, Steve Morse & Manuel Barrueco, George Winston, Barbara Higbie, Liz Story, Steve Erquiaga, William Ackerman, Billy Childs, Tim Story & Mannheim Steamroller.

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions please send them to Scott at SoulandJazz.com. I would also love to connect with you via Facebook & Twitter . . . just look for the Jazz Evangelist.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!
J. Scott Fugate, ‘The Jazz Evangelist’

PLAYLIST: Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz #67: ‘Christmas Moods’

Artist – Track – Album – Year

Vince Guaraldi - Skating - A Charlie Brown Christmas - 1965
Vince Guaraldi - Linus & Lucy (background) - A Charlie Brown Christmas	- 1965
Sean Harkness - Christmas Time Is Here - A Windham Hill Christmas: I’ll Be Home For Christmas	- 2004
Ralph Towner - Blue Sun - Blue Sun - 1982
Lynne Arriale Trio - Home - Come Together - 2004
Metamora	- This Rush Of Wings - The Essential Winter’s Solstice - 2005
Steve Morse & Manuel Barruecoo - Carol Of The Bells - Windham Hill Holiday Guitar Collection - 1996
George Winston - The Snowman’s Music Box Dance - Forest - 1994
Barbara Higbie - Patapan - A Windham Hill Christmas II - 2003
Liz Story - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - A Windham Hill Christmas: I’ll Be Home For Christmas - 2004
Steve Erquiaga - Greensleeves - Windham Hill Holiday Guitar Collection - 2001
Will Ackerman - Climbing In Geometry - Pure Will Ackerman - 1986
Billy Childs - Christmas Hymn - A Winter’s Solstice, Vol 4	 - 1993
George Winston - Peace - December - 1982
Tim Story	- Asleep The Snow Came Flying - A Winter’s Solstice, Vol 4 - 1993
Mannheim Steamroller - Stille Nacht	 - Christmas - 1984