[JPL] Frank Haynes

Maurice Hogue onemansjazz at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 18 16:41:54 EST 2011

Yup, it did fall off.  I had been the original poster, wondering if Frank
Haynes
had ever lived and played for a short while in Winnipeg back in the late 50s.
I didn't find any proof of that, nor did I find that he was related to the late
Piercy Haynes who was a key figure in the Black Community in Winnipeg and
the jazz scene for many years as proprietor of Haynes Chicken Shack.

Turns out, as was confirmed just recently, that the man I was trying to
identify was
saxophonist Frank LEWIS.  Too many Franks.  He had been part of an R&B band
from
the US called the Kuf-Linx.  That group had come up to Winnipeg in 1957 to
play at the
Rancho Don Carlos in Winnipeg, the premiere club in Winnipeg.  They liked
Winnipeg so much they came back, and took over another smaller club, called
it Jack's Place.  Frank Lewis was part of that group then.

Frank Lewis left eventually for Edmonton, then Vancouver where he
died.  (Back to you,
Nou!)

Mystery solved.  I just wrote to Mrs. Haynes to let her know how this all
got started.

Maurice Hogue

So what happened to the Kuf-Linx then? I heard from Owen Clark in Manitoba,
who told me that in 1957 the group had played the Rancho Don Carlos in
Winnipeg. They liked Winnipeg so much that they returned in 1958 and took
over a nightclub called "Jack's Place," where they remained for at least
part of 1958 and 1959. By this time, the group was a more manageable
quintet, consisting of John Jennings, Johnny Woodson, Gaines Steele,
Darrell Johnson, and "Jennell" (most probably Jennell Hawkins, who had
recorded "This Time It's Real" with Richard Berry on Flair in 1954). Just
to keep it interesting, however, they added trumpeter Frank Lewis. Johnny
Woodson went on to record a couple of singles for Spry and Imperial in the
early 60s.