[JPL] Frank Haynes

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 19 06:18:19 EST 2011

The Cuff Links (spelled many ways) were three of the more interesting groups
of the mid-50s (you probably thought I was going to say "one of the more
interesting..."). There were actually two completely different groups on
Dooto and two completely different groups with the same name and the same
song at the same time.

http://www.uncamarvy.com/Cufflinks/cufflinks.html

On 12/18/11 4:41 PM, "Maurice Hogue" <onemansjazz at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Yup, it did fall off.  I had been the original poster, wondering if Frank
> Haynes
> had ever lived and played for a short while in Winnipeg back in the late 50s.
> I didn't find any proof of that, nor did I find that he was related to the
> late
> Piercy Haynes who was a key figure in the Black Community in Winnipeg and
> the jazz scene for many years as proprietor of Haynes Chicken Shack.
>
> Turns out, as was confirmed just recently, that the man I was trying to
> identify was
> saxophonist Frank LEWIS.  Too many Franks.  He had been part of an R&B band
> from
> the US called the Kuf-Linx.  That group had come up to Winnipeg in 1957 to
> play at the
> Rancho Don Carlos in Winnipeg, the premiere club in Winnipeg.  They liked
> Winnipeg so much they came back, and took over another smaller club, called
> it Jack's Place.  Frank Lewis was part of that group then.
>
> Frank Lewis left eventually for Edmonton, then Vancouver where he
> died.  (Back to you,
> Nou!)
>
> Mystery solved.  I just wrote to Mrs. Haynes to let her know how this all
> got started.
>
> Maurice Hogue
>

> So what happened to the Kuf-Linx then? I heard from Owen Clark in Manitoba,
> who told me that in 1957 the group had played the Rancho Don Carlos in
> Winnipeg. They liked Winnipeg so much that they returned in 1958 and took
> over a nightclub called "Jack's Place," where they remained for at least
> part of 1958 and 1959. By this time, the group was a more manageable
> quintet, consisting of John Jennings, Johnny Woodson, Gaines Steele,
> Darrell Johnson, and "Jennell" (most probably Jennell Hawkins, who had
> recorded "This Time It's Real" with Richard Berry on Flair in 1954). Just
> to keep it interesting, however, they added trumpeter Frank Lewis. Johnny
> Woodson went on to record a couple of singles for Spry and Imperial in the
> early 60s.
>

> At 01:45 AM 12/18/2011 -0800, you wrote:
>
>> Thanks Ed, following up on a year-old thread (almost exactly!), was the
>> photo she mentioned included?  Looks like it fell off at some point .. N
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Ed Trefzger <ed at trefzgermedia.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  >
>>>  > Hi all,
>>>  >
>>>  > I received this note from Frank Haynes' widow a few minutes ago:
>>>  >
>>>  > Hello, I'm Frank Haynes' wife. I read where there were questions
>>> regarding
>>>  > deceased Jazz musician Frank Haynes' background. Frank Haynes was born on
>>>  > Oct 8, 1928 in Tulsa, Ok. to Frank Haynes, Sr., and Eula Scrugs-Haynes.
He