[JPL] Ralph MacDonald RIP

Bobby Jackson ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 19 13:53:21 EST 2011

I have a family connection to Ralph MacDonald.  He grew up in Harlem.  My Aunt Helen used to feed him every night at her home as a child.  He learned to play through his Uncle Urias "Bugs" McKinley Fritz who had one of the best Calypso bands in NYC at that time.  My cousin Moses would check out the scene as a youngster by carrying their drums into the venues they would play.  Ralph was at my cousin's house so much he thought Ralph was a family member.  One day Moses asked my Aunt, "Why does he leave after he eats?"  My aunt replied, "he doesn't live here".  Ralph MacDonald played with Jimmy Buffet for many years during these last days.  His death resonates in a very personal way for us...  I'm very sorry to see him leave.  I love his composition "The Path."

Bobby Jackson
THE JAZZ MIND
www.thejazzmind.com
ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net