[JPL] ERIC ALAN¹S JAZZ RENDEZVOUS 2011 TOP FOURTY JAZZ ALBUMS OF THE YEA

Eric at Jazz Rendezvous eric at jazzrendezvous.co.za
Mon Dec 19 14:45:39 EST 2011

ERIC ALAN¹S JAZZ RENDEZVOUS 2011 TOP FOURTY JAZZ ALBUMS OF THE YEAR

There have been so really great albums that have landed on my desk over the
past year, some have been release in South Africa and many have not, all of
which have be playlisted on my show at some time during 2011. Please note
the albums listed below are in alphabetical order. It has been an extremely
difficult task to choose this list from the albums that I received over the
past year.

It has been the most difficult task cutting the list down to the 40 that I
have chosen. I really found it extremely difficult to cut the list further
so this year instead of the TOP 20 I¹ve gone with the TOP 40 of the year
instead.

There has been a huge improvement quality of South African Jazz albums
released this year showcasing some truly wonderful music, mostly from
independent jazz musicians. It has also been extremely pleasing and exciting
to see such growth of Jazz releases across the genre spectrum, not only here
in South Africa but the rest of the world as well. Which flies in the face
what record company record execs say about jazz being dead, jeez the jazz
music industry is a vibrant place to be involved in. the future of jazz is
bright, in my humble opinion and the growth of the Internet radio stations I
my my home country is showing the way forward for our jazz musicians.

I have excluded reissues and all are new releases from over the past year.
There is one album that almost made it on the list and ended up in the 41st
position but deserves a very strong honourable mention and that is Cape Town
singer/songwriter Tina Schouw's beautiful album ŒWinds Call¹. I hope you
enjoy exploring and listening to the albums listed. Should you wish for more
information please Inbox or email me and I will send the info to you.

Adam Glasser ~ Mzansi ­ SA Music
Bernice Boikanyo ~ My Soul ­ SA Music
Bokani Dyer - Emancipate The Story ­ SA Music
Brian Thusi ~ Future Talk ­ SA Music
Charlie King - Acoustic Blues ­ SA Music
Chick Corea ~ The Definitive Chick Corea On Stretch And Concord CD 1 & 2
Christian McBride ~ Conversations with Christian
Darius Brubeck & Mike Rossi ~ Two and Four / To and Fro
Donald Harrison, Ron Carter & Billy Cobham ~ This Is Jazz - Live At The Blue
Note
Duane Padilla ~ Sentimental Swing
Eric Bibb ~ Troubadour Live
ESP ~ Reach
Exploding Star Orchestra ~ Stars Have Shapes
Gerald Veasley - Gerald Veasley's Electric Mingus Project
Global Noize ~ A Prayer For The Planet
Hassan 'adas ~ Look Now ­ SA Music
Jason Reolon Trio ~ Outline ­ SA Music
Jason Sampson ~ Conscience ­ SA Music
Jessy J ~ Hot Sauce
Joe Lovano Us Five ~ Bird Songs
Justine Bradley ~ New Wings
Karrin Allyson ~ 'Round Midnight
Kate Reid ~ The Love I'm In
Kevin Davidson - Breathing Winston, Living John ­ SA Music
Kurt Elling - The Gate
Lwanda Gogwana Songbook ~ Chapter 1 ­ SA Music
Marcus Miller ~ Tutu Revisited  [Disc 1 & 2]
Marcus Wyatt Quartet ~ Zar ­ SA Music
Michael Franks ~ Time Together
Mike Cottone ~ Just Remember
Peter Auret Trio - Turn The Tide ­ SA Music
Poncho Sanchez & Terence Blanchard ~ Chano y Dizzy!
Ramon Alexander ~ Picnic at Kontiki
Sachal Vasandani - Hi-Fly
Stephon Harris, David Sánchez, Christian Scott - Ninety Miles
The Tierney Sutton Band ~ American Road
Vincent Lyn ~ Heaven Bound
Vusi Khumalo ~ Reasons For Seasons CD 1 & 2 ­ SA Music
Yellowjackets - Timeline
Yotam ~ Brazil

Warmest regards,
Have a fabulous day.
Peace, safety and happiness,
See it Š with your own ears
Yours in Music

Eric Alan

RADIO 2000
Broadcasting on 97.2 to 100FM nationwide, around South Africa.
Streaming live at:  Mac users go to
http://radiotime.com/station/s_68093/Radio_2000_997.aspx For Windows users
go to  www.radio2000.co.za

Sunday Nights are a mix of Mainstream, Straight Ahead, Acoustic, Vocal,
Contemporary, Smooth, Fusion funk a little bit of Blues too from 21h00 to
24h00 SA Time. No fear or favour in the playlist, just jazz right across the
spectrum.

Face Book: Eric Alan (Jazz Rendezvous - Polarbearic)

Presenter / Producer:
Jazz Rendezvous, where jazz lovers of South Africa and the World meet to
share and listen to a mix of jazz that crosses all genre types and
boundaries of the jazz lexicon from all corners of the global village

Jazz Columnist and music reviewer:
Roots Africa Magazine: Jazz Rendezvous where jazz lovers of Africa and the
World meet to read
Editor / Owner:
Jazz Rendezvous Website, where jazz lovers of South Africa and the world
meet to share
Broadcaster, Jazz, Music & Cultural Consultant & activist, Contributor and
CD Reviewer to various publications around Cape Town

Member of:
International Jazz Programmers List (International organisation of jazz
radio station music programmers and presenters), SAJE (South African Jazz
Educators Association), JEN (Jazz Education Network), CapeMic (Cape Music
Industry Commission), Foundation Committee of the Western Cape Musicians
Association,  South African Jazz Network (southafricanjazznetwork.ning.com),
Global Jazz Network (theglobaljazznetwork.ning.com), The Jazz Network
(thejazznetwork.ning.com) & The New Zealand Jazz Network
(nzjazznetwork.ning.com)

Founding Member:
FMR (Fine Music Radio - community radio station) SA¹s first Classical and
Jazz Community Radio Station, CTFM (Cape Towns first temporary multi genre
community radio station), Peace Radio (both regional and national run prior
to, during and after SA¹s first democratic elections)

Master of Ceremonies:
Cape Town International Jazz Festival and the Cape Town Jazzathon and
Athlone Academy of Music Festival

Postal Address:
Postnet Suite 261, Private Bag X16, Constantia, 7848. Cape Town, South
Africa

PHONE NUMBERS:
Home/Office: 27 (0)21 683 9845
Mobile: 27 (0)82 456 2195

RADIO 2000 Cape Town Direct Studio Line: 27 (0)21 430 8111
RADIO 2000 Cape Town On-Air Studio Phone Line: 27 (0)21 434 2515 / 23 / 25
RADIO 2000 Broadcast Studio On Air Line: 27 (0)86 - 001 - 2010

Email Addresses:
eric at jazzrendezvous.co.za
radio at jazzrendezvous.co.za

Radio 2000 Website:
http://www.radio2000.co.za

Jazz Rendezvous Website:
http://www.jazzrendezvous.co.za
Radio 2000 broadcasting purposefully ahead to 2010 and beyond, featuring the
best of South African and African music on the wireless this in the universe
today.

Disclaimer:
The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended
this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
delete the material from any system and destroy any copies.
Listen to the Detour with Eric Alan on the Taxi ay www.thetaxi.co.za
Listen to the Jazz Rendezvous live on the web at www.radio2000.co.za

Radio 2000 frequencies and transmitters anywhere around South Africa, so no
matter where you may be in the country there is a transmitter near you. If
you reside or are visiting outside the boarders of South Africa Radio 2000
streams live on the internet, just visit http://www.radio2000.co.za and
follow the links and listen to Radio 2000 live.

Alexander Bay 98.7FM; Bethlehem 98.4FM; Bloemfontein 99.5FM; Butterworth
97.6FM; Cape Town 98.6FM; Davel 100.0FM; Donnybrook 99.2FM; Durban 97.3FM;
Durban North 99.0FM; East London 98.1FM; Eshowe 99.9FM; Franschoek 97.2FM;
George 98.2FM; Glencoe 99.6FM; Grahamstown 100.0FM; Greytown 98.2FM;
Heidelberg 97.3FM; Hermanus 97.3FM; Hoedspruit 98.5FM; Hout Bay 97.4FM;
Johannesburg 99.7FM; Kimberley 97.5FM; Klerksdorp 97.7FM; Knysna 98.7FM;
Kroonstad 99.9FM; Ladysmith 97.5FM; Louis Trichardt 97.2FM; Menlo Park
98.6FM; Middelburg 98.3FM; Mooi River 98.7FM; Mount Ayliff 99.7FM; Nelspruit
99.0FM; Nongoma 99.4FM; Oudtshoorn 99.1FM; Paarl 98.1FM; Parson's Hill (PE)
97.5FM; Petrus Steyn 98.8FM; Pietermaritzburg 97.9FM; Piketberg 97.6FM; Port
Elizabeth 98.8FM; Port St.Johns 100.2FM; Potgietersrus 97.9FM; Pretoria
97.5FM; Queenstown 98.7FM; Rustenburg 97.2FM; Schweizer Reneke 99.6FM;