[JPL] Playlist-Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Bob Brookmeyer & Holiday Jazz for Monday, 12/19/11

George Thomas gthomas at vpr.net
Mon Dec 19 23:16:27 EST 2011

Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Bob Brookmeyer & Holiday Jazz for Monday, 12/19/11

We continue celebrating the life of the valve trombonist & pianist Bob Brookmeyer. His birthday is today, December 19,1929 and he died last week on December 15th. He left us with a wide and varied collection of jazz, from his recordings with Gerry Mulligan & Chet Baker to Jim Hall and many more.

Playlist

9:00pm
Grey December
Artist Name 	Chet Baker
Composer 	F. Campo
Soloists 	Chet Baker-Trumpet & Vocals
CD/Album 	Grey December
Record co./Cat # 	Pacific Jazz 97160-2
Release Year 	1953

9:04pm
Subterranean Blues
Artist Name 	Gerry Mulligan
Composer 	Gerry Mulligan
Soloists 	Gerry Mulligan-Baritone Sax ; Bob Brookmeyer-Piano ; Bill Crow-Bass ; Gus Johnson-Drums
CD/Album 	The Gerry Mulligan Quartets In Concert
Record co./Cat # 	Pablo 5309-2
Release Year 	1962
Note 	Birthday: Bob Brookmeyer 12.19.1929 / R.I.P. Bob Brookmeyer 12.15.2011

9:16pm
Kamman's A' Comin'
Artist Name 	Oscar Pettiford
Composer 	Oscar Pettiford
Soloists 	Oscar Pettiford-Bass ; Donald Byrd-Trumpet ; Bob Brookmeyer-Valve Trombone ; Gigi Gryce-Alto Sax
CD/Album 	Another One
Record co./Cat # 	Avenue Jazz/Bethlehem 75910
Release Year 	1956
Note 	Birthday: Bob Brookmeyer 12.19.1929 / R.I.P. Bob Brookmeyer 12.15.2011

9:23pm
Jingle Bells "Soca"
Artist Name 	Carla Bley
Composer 	James S. Pierpont
Soloists 	Carla Bley-Piano
CD/Album 	A Jazz Piano Christmas
Record co./Cat # 	NPR 0013
Release Year 	2000

9:26pm
Sleigh Ride
Artist Name 	Duke Pearson
Composer 	Leroy Anderson
Soloists 	Duke Pearson-Piano, Celeste ; Bob Cranshaw-Bass ; Mickey Roker-Drums
CD/Album 	Ultimate Jazz Christmas
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 63527-2
Release Year 	1969

9:32pm
Very Early
Artist Name 	Alan Pasqua
Composer 	Bill Evans
Soloists 	Alan Pasqua-Pianos
CD/Album 	Twin Bill
Record co./Cat # 	BFMJazz.com 302 062 411-2
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

9:42pm
Moten Swing
Artist Name 	Bob Brookmeyer
Composer 	B. Moten, B. Moten
Soloists 	Bob Brookmeyer-Valve Trombone ; Al Cohen-Tenor Sax ; Paul Quinichette-Tenor Sax ; Nat Pierce-Piano ; Jim Hall-Guitar
CD/Album 	Mosaic Select: Bob Brookmeyer
Record co./Cat # 	Mosaic Select 009
Release Year 	1958
Note 	Birthday: Bob Brookmeyer 12.19.1929 / R.I.P. Bob Brookmeyer 12.15.2011

9:51pm
What's New
Artist Name 	Ted Rosenthal & Bob Brookmeyer
Composer 	Bob Haggart, Johnny Burke
Soloists 	Bob Brookmeyer-Valve Trombone ; Ted Rosenthal-Piano
CD/Album 	One Night In Vermont
Record co./Cat # 	Planet Arts 200123
Release Year 	2003
Note 	Birthday: Bob Brookmeyer 12.19.1929 / R.I.P. Bob Brookmeyer 12.15.2011

10:01pm
I'll Be Home For Christmas
Artist Name 	Mary Stallings
Composer 	Kim Gannon, Walter Kent, Buck Ram
Soloists 	Mary Stallings-Vocals ; Bruce Barth-Piano
CD/Album 	MaxJazz Holiday
Record co./Cat # 	MaxJazz 301
Release Year 	2001

10:06pm
God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen
Artist Name 	Roy Hargrove
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	Roy Hargrove-Trumpet ; Antonio Hart-Alto Sax ; Stephen Scott-Piano ; Christian McBride-Bass ; Billy Higgins-Drums
CD/Album 	A Merry Jazzmas
Record co./Cat # 	Novus 63126-2
Release Year 	1990

10:12pm
White Christmas / Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow / Winter Wonderland
Artist Name 	Rob McConnell And The Boss Brass
Composer 	Irving Berlin / Jule Styne, Sammy Cahn / Felix Bernard, Dick Smith
CD/Album 	Bibg Band Christmas
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 4844-2
Release Year 	1998

10:20pm
A Child Is Born
Artist Name 	Kenny Burrell
Composer 	Thad Jones
Soloists 	Kenny Burrell-Guitar
CD/Album 	Tenderly
Record co./Cat # 	HighNote 7227
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:24pm
London Blues
Artist Name 	Brad Mehldau Trio
Composer 	Brad Mehldau
Soloists 	Brad Mehldau-Piano ; Larry Grenadier-Bass ; Jorge Rossy-Drums
CD/Album 	The Art Of The Trio
Record co./Cat # 	Nonesuch 528937
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:36pm
On The Sunny Side Of The Street
Artist Name 	3 Cohens
Composer 	Dorothy Fields, Jimmy McHugh
Soloists 	Anat Cohen-Tenor Sax, Clarinet ; Avishai Cohen-Trumpet ; Yuval Cohen-Soprano Sax ; Aaron Goldberg-Piano
CD/Album 	Family
Record co./Cat # 	Anzic Records 7002
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:43pm
Quizas, Quizas, Quizas
Artist Name 	David Murray Cuban Ensemble
Composer 	Osvaldo Farres
Soloists 	David Murray-Tenor Sax
CD/Album 	Plays Nat King Cole En Espanol
Record co./Cat # 	Motema Music 73
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:49pm
Little Drummer Boy
Artist Name 	Marcus Roberts Trio
Composer 	Katherine Davis, Henry Onorati, Hatty Simeone
Soloists 	Marcus Roberts-Piano ; Rodney Jordan-Bass ; Jason Marsalis-Drums
CD/Album 	Celebrating Christmas
Record co./Cat # 	J-Master Records 3140-2
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:56pm
Greensleeves
Artist Name 	Ellis Marsalis
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	Ellis Marsalis-Piano ; Jason Marsalis-Drums
CD/Album 	A New Orleans Christmas Carol
Record co./Cat # 	Elm 19790
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New