[JPL] Valve trombones and slide trumpets

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 03:07:52 EST 2011

Last week on the show I had occasion to play a valve trombonist (Bob
Brookmeyer) and a slide trumpeter (Steven Bernstein with Sex Mob and the
MTO), no surprises there but it made me wonder since it so conveniently
reversed what I've always considered to be the defining attributes of the
two instruments.

I know the difference between the clarinet family and the saxophone family
(cylindrical vs conical bores) but what are the true distinguishing
characteristics of the trumpet and trombone, anybody know?

N.

--
====
Nou Dadoun