[JPL] Playlist-Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Hanukkah, Christmas & No Snow for Tuesday, 12/20/11

George Thomas gthomas at vpr.net
Tue Dec 20 23:19:04 EST 2011

Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Hanukkah, Christmas & No Snow for Tuesday, 12/20/11

We celebrate the first night of the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah and continue with Christmas songs old & new, from Nat King Cole's "The Christmas Song" (the 1946 first recording of this song, there are now over 800 versions) to Marcus Roberts's take on "Let It Snow." I included a lot of "snow" songs as we all pray for a White Christmas.

Playlist

9:00pm
Dybbuk Shers
Artist Name 	The Klezmatics
Arranger 	A. Svigals
CD/Album 	Festival Of Light
Record co./Cat # 	Six Degrees 162 531 069-2
Release Year 	1996
Note 	Happy Hanukkah!

9:05pm
Oi Tata
Artist Name 	Don Byron
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	Don Byron-Clarinet
CD/Album 	Festival Of Light
Record co./Cat # 	Six Degrees 162 531 069-2
Release Year 	1996
Note 	Happy Hanukkah!

9:09pm
Go Tell It On The Mountain
Artist Name 	Ramsey Lewis
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	Ramsey Lewis-Piano
CD/Album 	A Jazz Piano Christmas
Record co./Cat # 	NPR 0013
Release Year 	2000

9:12pm
Someday My Prince Will Come
Artist Name 	Randy Brecker with DR Big Band
Composer 	Frank Churchill
Soloists 	Randy Brecker-Trumpet
CD/Album 	The Jazz Ballad Song Book
Record co./Cat # 	Red Dot Music 012-2
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

9:21pm
I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm
Artist Name 	Nicole Henry
Composer 	Irving Berlin
Soloists 	Nicole Henry-Vocals
CD/Album 	Set For The Season
Record co./Cat # 	Banister Records 3018
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

9:24pm
White Christmas
Artist Name 	Earl Hines
Composer 	Irving Berlin
Soloists 	Earl Hines-Piano
CD/Album 	A Chiaroscuro Christmas
Record co./Cat # 	Chiaroscuro Records 332
Release Year 	1975

9:29pm
Let It Snow
Artist Name 	Betty Carter
Composer 	Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne
Soloists 	Betty Carter-Vocals ; Roy Hargrove-Trumpet
CD/Album 	Jazz For Joy
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 314 531 960-2
Release Year 	1996

9:34pm
Winter Wonderland
Artist Name 	Eric Reed
Composer 	Felix Bernard, Dick Smith
Soloists 	Eric Reed-Piano
CD/Album 	Merry Magic
Record co./Cat # 	MaxJazz 302
Release Year 	2003

9:42pm
Angels We Have Heard On High
Artist Name 	Geri Allen
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	Geri Allen-Piano
CD/Album 	A Child Is Born
Record co./Cat # 	Motema Music 69
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

9:46pm
God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen
Artist Name 	Claudio Roditi & Don Sickler
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	Claudio Roditi-Trumpet ; Don Sickler-Trumpet ; Mulgrew Miller-Piano
CD/Album 	An Uptown Christmas
Record co./Cat # 	Uptown Records 2733
Release Year 	1985
Note 	Listener Request

9:51pm
Don't Want No Blues This Christmas
Artist Name 	Dave McKenna
Composer 	Dave McKenna
Soloists 	Dave McKenna-Piano
CD/Album 	Christmas Ivory
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 4772-2
Release Year 	1997

9:56pm
Merry Christmas Baby
Artist Name 	Johnny Moore's Three Blazers
Composer 	Charles Brown
Soloists 	Charles Brown-Piano, Vocals ; Johnny Moore-Bass
CD/Album 	Billboard Greatest R&B Christmas Hits
Record co./Cat # 	Rhino 70638
Release Year 	1947

10:01pm
The Christmas Song
Artist Name 	Nat King Cole Trio
Composer 	R. Wells, Mel Torme
Soloists 	Nat King Cole-Piano, Vocals ; Oscar Moore-Guitar
CD/Album 	Ultimate Jazz Christmas
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 63527-2
Release Year 	1946

10:04pm
Christmas Time Is Here
Artist Name 	Thomas Marriott
Composer 	Vince Guaraldi, Mendelson
Soloists 	Thomas Marriott-Trumpet ; Bill Anschell-Piano ; Jeff Johnson-Bass ; John Bishop-Drums
CD/Album 	The Cool Season
Record co./Cat # 	Origin Records 82494
Release Year 	2007

10:10pm
At The Christmas Ball
Artist Name 	Jim Galloway, Milt Hinton, Gus Johnson, Ralph Sutton
Composer 	Fred Longshaw
Soloists 	Jim Galloway-Soprano Sax ; Ralph Sutton-Piano ; Milt Hinton-Bass ; Gus Johnson-Drums
CD/Album 	The Sackville All Star Christmas Record
Record co./Cat # 	Sackville 3038
Release Year 	1986

10:16pm
Strike Up The Band
Artist Name 	David Budway
Composer 	George & Ira Gershwin
Soloists 	David Budway-Piano ; Eric Revis-Bass ; Jeff "Tain" Watts-Drums
CD/Album 	A New Kiss
Record co./Cat # 	MaxJazz 222
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:24pm
Hell's Bells
Artist Name 	Carla Bley & Steve Swallow, The Partyka Brass Quintet
Composer 	Carla Bley
Soloists 	Carla Bley-Piano ; Steve Swallow-Bass
CD/Album 	Carla's Christmas Carols
Record co./Cat # 	WATT 35
Release Year 	2009

10:29pm
O Shenandoah
Artist Name 	Rene Marie
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	Rene Marie-Vocals ; Kevin Bales-Piano
CD/Album 	Voice Of My Beautiful Country
Record co./Cat # 	Motema Music 59
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:40pm
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
Artist Name 	Marcus Roberts Trio
Composer 	Jule Styne
Soloists 	Marcus Roberts-Piano ; Jason Marsalis-Drums
CD/Album 	Celebrating Christmas
Record co./Cat # 	J-Master Records 3140-2
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:46pm
Last Snow
Artist Name 	The New Gary Burton Quartet
Composer 	Vadim Neselovskyi
Soloists 	Gary Burton-Vibes ; Julian Lage-Guitar
CD/Album 	Common Ground
Record co./Cat # 	Mack Avenue 1061
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New