[JPL] valve trombonists & trumpeters

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 12:03:56 EST 2011

Mouthpiece may also have something to do with this but not sure. Seems it would be easier to go to a bigger then to a smaller. Hence why we don't see many trombonists coming to trumpet. The physical-ness of playing the trumpet is very different too. How many hernia operations did Maynard have? At least 10 I think but that was a result of "how" he played. I don't think "clef" ranges make much difference in this but that could be a factor too but I doubt this one. Bb to Eb vs Eb to Bb. Steve Wilson is the only saxophonist that prefers to read in "concert" rather that Eb (alto) or Bb (tenor, soprano).

Jae Sinnett