[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Andrew Cyrille & James Hirschfeld

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Thu Dec 22 07:29:16 EST 2011

Here's the PDF version of this newsletter:
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/111219_tjs_newsletter.pdf

Hello friends!

New schedule for the newsletter: I've decided to start sending the
newsletter on Thursdays instead of Mondays so that I can give you direct
links to both shows each week. That way everyone reading the newsletter
in whatever format can go immediately to either episode mentioned and
start listening. (Thanks to Matt Merewitz for the suggestion.)

Another sax player in the family: My son Bernie is now playing the
saxophone. I'd be lying if I said this didn't make me ridiculously proud.

Special Membership Offer: The Jazz Session is member-supported, so if
you like what you hear, please join. The next two people who join at the
middle or top level (yearly or monthly) will receive guitarist Anthony
Wilson's new DVD/CD set Seasons. This set captures a unique live
performance by Wilson along with Steve Cardenas, Julian Lage and Chico
Pinheiro, performing on a quartet of custom guitars built by John
Monteleone. http://thejazzsession.com/join

New Poems:
"sing me a Haitian song" http://bit.ly/v2Ydad
"post office, Sunset Park" http://bit.ly/uero9h
And a page of my recorded readings as a featured poet: http://bit.ly/uxObTq

Widget: If you add AAJ's The Jazz Session widget to your site, let me
know and I'll mention you in this newsletter. Thanks to
http://dclivemusic.com for adding it. Get the widget: http://bit.ly/o4LjvZ

Twitter: Earlier this year I was named by the LA Times as one of 25 arts
& culture people to follow on Twitter, which you can do here:
http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*******************************
This week on The Jazz Session:

TJS #330: Andrew Cyrille. Andrew Cyrille’s new CD is Route De Freres
(TUM, 2011) with his band Haitian Fascination. In this interview,
Cyrille talks about his own Haitian roots and his early childhood in
Brooklyn; Haitian rhythms and how they’re expressed on this new record;
and the sound paintings that form the main suite, "Route De Freres."
LISTEN: http://bit.ly/rA35Xl

TJS #331: James Hirschfeld. Trombonist James Hirschfeld has just
released his first album, Two Medicine. In this interview, Hirschfeld
talks about his life in music; the song-like quality of his
compositions; and how a trip to Germany solidified his desire to pursue
an artistic life. LISTEN: http://bit.ly/rs4u1Q

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

RSS Feed: http://thejazzsession.com/feed/?category_name=podcast

iTunes: itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast

--
Jason Crane
The Jazz Session

1.4 million downloads and counting...