[JPL] Playlist-Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Christmas Jazz & Best of 2011 for Thursday, 12/22/11

George Thomas gthomas at vpr.net
Thu Dec 22 23:24:20 EST 2011

Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Christmas Jazz & Best of 2011 for Thursday, 12/22/11

We wallow in Christmas Jazz tonight, playing many "snow" songs in an attempt to influence Mother Nature to cover us in the traditional White Christmas covering. Louis Armstrong and Kermit Ruffins cover Christmas in New Orleans and the pianos of Ralph Sutton, Dave McKenna and George Shearing stride into the holiday.

Playlist

9:00pm
Going Home
Artist Name 	Charlie Haden & Hank Jones
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	Hank Jones-Piano ; Charlie Haden-Bass
CD/Album 	Come Sunday
Record co./Cat # 	Decca
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

9:05pm
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
Artist Name 	Bill Evans Trio
Composer 	H. Gillespie, J. Coots
Soloists 	Bill Evans-Piano ; Gary Peacock-Bass ; Paul Motian-Drums
CD/Album 	Trio 64
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 815 057-2
Release Year 	1963

9:09pm
What Will Santa Claus Say (When He Finds Everybody Swingin'?)
Artist Name 	Louis Prima And His New Orleans Gang
Composer 	Louis Prima
Soloists 	Louis Prima-Trumpet, Vocals
CD/Album 	Santa Claus Blues
Record co./Cat # 	Jass 3
Release Year 	1936

9:12pm
Medley: I Love The Winter Weather / I've Got My Love To Keep me Warm
Artist Name 	Jane Monheit
Composer 	H. Jaffe / Irving Berlin
Soloists 	Jane Monheit-Vocals ; Michael Kanin-Piano ; Andy Snitzer-Tenor Sax
CD/Album 	The Season
Record co./Cat # 	Epic 97721
Release Year 	2005

9:15pm
Winter Wonderland
Artist Name 	Eddie Higgins Trio
Composer 	Felix Bernard, Dick Smith
Soloists 	Eddie Higgins-Piano ; Joe Ascione-Drums ; Jat Leonhart-Bass
CD/Album 	Christmas Songs
Record co./Cat # 	Sunnyside 1143
Release Year 	2004

9:24pm
Let It Snow
Artist Name 	Doug Monro and La Pompe Attack
Composer 	Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne
Soloists 	Doug Monro-Guitar
CD/Album 	A Very Gypsy Christmas
Record co./Cat # 	GotMusic Records 002
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

9:27pm
Santa Claus Got Stuck In My Chimney
Artist Name 	Ella Fitzgerald
Composer 	Moore, Handy
Soloists 	Ella Fitzgerald-Vocals
CD/Album 	Santa Claus Blues
Record co./Cat # 	Jass Records 3
Release Year 	1950

9:30pm
God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen
Artist Name 	Harry Allen
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	Harry Allen-Tenor Sax ; Larry Goldings-Organ ; Peter Bernstein-Guitar ; Jake Hanna-Drums
CD/Album 	Christmas In Swingtime
Record co./Cat # 	Koch Jazz 51409
Release Year 	2001

9:37pm
Why Can't Everyday Be Christmas?
Artist Name 	Jackie Allen & Judy Roberts
Composer 	Skoller
Soloists 	Jackie Allen-Vocals ; Judy Roberts-Piano
CD/Album 	Santa Baby
Record co./Cat # 	JackieAllen.com
Release Year 	2002

9:43pm
Out Of This World
Artist Name 	Ted Rosenthal Trio
Composer 	Harold Arlen & Johnny Mercer
Soloists 	Ted Rosenthal-Piano
CD/Album 	Out Of This World
Record co./Cat # 	Playscape Recordings 031010
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

9:51pm
Home For The Holidays
Artist Name 	Betty Carter
Composer 	Al Stillman, Robert Allen
Soloists 	Betty Carter-Vocals ; Ron Blake-Tenor Sax ; Nicholas Payton-Trumpet
CD/Album 	Jazz For Joy
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 314 531 960-2
Release Year 	1996

9:55pm
I'll Be Home For Christmas
Artist Name 	Dave McKenna
Soloists 	Dave McKenna-Piano
CD/Album 	Christmas Ivory
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 4772-2
Release Year 	1997

10:01pm
In A Hurry
Artist Name 	Christian McBride Big Band
Composer 	Christian McBride
Soloists 	Christian McBride-Bass ; Ron Blake-Tenor Sax ; Freddie Hendrix-Trumpet
CD/Album 	The Good Feeling
Record co./Cat # 	Mack Avenue 1053
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:08pm
Jingle Bell Rock
Artist Name 	John Hicks
Composer 	Beal, Boothe
Soloists 	John Hicks-Piano
CD/Album 	A Merry Jazzmas
Record co./Cat # 	Novus 63126-2
Release Year 	1991

10:13pm
Go Tell It On The Mountain
Artist Name 	Phillip Manuel
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	Phillip Manuel-Vocals ; Peter Martin-Piano
CD/Album 	MaxJazz Holiday
Record co./Cat # 	MaxJazz 301
Release Year 	2001

10:16pm
An Apple, An Orange And A Little Stick Doll
Artist Name 	Jeannie & Jimmy Cheatham And The Sweet Baby Blues Band
Composer 	Jeannie & Jimmy Cheatham
Soloists 	Jeannie Cheatham-Piano, Vocals ; Jimmy Cheatham-Bass Trombone
CD/Album 	A Concord Jazz Christmas
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 4613
Release Year 	1993

10:22pm
We Three Kings
Artist Name 	Jim Galloway, Milt Hinton, Gus Johnson, Ralph Sutton
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	Jim Galloway-Soprano Sax ; Milt Hinton-Bass ; Ralph Sutton-Piano
CD/Album 	The Sackville All Star Christmas Record
Record co./Cat # 	Sackville 3038
Release Year 	1986

10:28pm
Cool Yule
Artist Name 	Louis Armstrong with The Commmanders
Composer 	Allen
Soloists 	Louis Armstrong-Vocals & Trumpet
CD/Album 	Santa Claus Blues
Record co./Cat # 	Jass Records 3
Release Year 	1953

10:31pm
Crazy Cool Christmas
Artist Name 	Kermit Ruffins
Composer 	Kermit Ruffins
Soloists 	Kermit Ruffins-Vocals, Trumpet
CD/Album 	Have A Crazy Cool Christmas!
Record co./Cat # 	Basin Street Records 0109-2
Release Year 	2009

10:36pm
Joy To The Jingle
Artist Name 	Ralph Sutton & Jay McShann
Composer 	Ralph Sutton, Jay McShann
Soloists 	Ralph Sutton-Piano ; Jay McShann-Piano
CD/Album 	A Chiaroscuro Christmas
Record co./Cat # 	Chiaroscuro Records 332
Release Year 	1995

10:40pm
Ding Dong! Merrily On High
Artist Name 	The George Shearing Quintet
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	George Shearing-Piano
CD/Album 	Christmas With The George Shearing Quintet
Record co./Cat # 	Telarc Jazz 83438
Release Year 	1998

10:45pm
Raincheck
Artist Name 	Terell Stafford
Composer 	Billy Strayhorn
Soloists 	Terell Stafford-Trumpet ; Tim Warfield-Tenor Sax ; Bruce Barth-Piano
CD/Album 	This Side Of Strayhorn
Record co./Cat # 	MaxJazz 408
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:53pm
White Christmas
Artist Name 	Ray Brown Trio
Composer 	Irving Berlin
Soloists 	Vanessa Rubin-Vocals ; Ray Brown-Bass ; Geoffrey Keezer-Piano
CD/Album 	Christmas Songs
Record co./Cat # 	Telarc Jazz 83437
Release Year 	1999

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas