[JPL] Continuum, A Journey Through Jazz #68 - "A Very Eclectic Christmas"

Jazzevangelist scott at soulandjazz.com
Fri Dec 23 09:39:01 EST 2011

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz
Episode 68: ‘A Very Eclectic Christmas’

Hosted & Produced by J. Scott Fugate, "The Jazz Evangelist" . . . as well as some very special guests.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays once again – allow me to humbly submit my quintessential & final Holiday show of the season . . . two full hours of comfort and joy which may well provide peace on earth, and may even make your heart grow three sizes this day. I don’t guarantee it . . . but, ’tis the Season for grandiose wishes.

So, here it is - too big to fit in your stocking, but perfect for your iPod:  http://t.co/2LMxNMMD

Welcome to my very eclectic, two hour Christmas special chock full of familiar tunes with unfamiliar arrangements. We kick things off with a Traditional Jazz set of spicy N’awlins flavored favorites with Wynton Marsalis, James Andrews, Dukes Of Dixieland, Harry Connick, Jr., New Birth Brass Band, Heritage Hall Jazz Band, and Dejan’s Olympia Brass Band.

Our first guest host, Tim The Snowman, has been feeling slightly soggy lately, so he brings with him a set of Blues drenched Christmas perennials featuring Ramsey Lewis Trio, Dukes Of Dixieland, Louis Jordan, Carmen McRae, Dianne Reeves & King Curtis.

The fat man himself, Santa Claus drops in to bring us a set of some of his favorite Swingin’ carols from years gone by featuring Tonic Vintage Vocals, Inner Voices, Harry Connick, Jr., Ella Fitzgerald, Tex Beneke & The Glenn Miller Orchestra, Tommy Dorsey, Banu Gibson & The New Orleans Hot Jazz, Ingrid Lucia, Kurt Elling, and The Swingle Singers.

A rather obnoxious elf named Aloysius returns this year for a set of modern & straight ahead jazz swing with Sweet Daddy Lowe & The Blue Note Ad Hoc Orchestra, Jacky Terrasson, Jimmy Smith, Bobby Watson & Jack Walrath, Eliane Elias, & something new from Atlanta’s own Gary Motley . . . and the show ends with a bit of a surprise visit from Kurtis Blow. You know?

So please pour yourself some eggnog, throw some starter fluid on the Yule log, grab a candy cane and enjoy two hours of this Eclectic jazz journey which travels from New Orleans to the North Pole with stops ranging from 1939 to today.

I’d like to wish you and yours a Very Merry Christmas, and would love to hear from you! Send some Christmas cheer to Scott at SoulandJazz.com or come communicate with me via Facebook or Twitter . . . just look for the Jazz Evangelist.

Agape ya’ll & God Bless Us Everyone,
J. Scott Fugate, ‘The Jazz Evangelist’

PLAYLIST: Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz #68: ‘A Very Eclectic Christmas’

Artist – Track – Album – Year

Wynton Marsalis - O Christmas Tree - Christmas Jazz Jam - 2009
James Andrews	- Christmas In New Orleans - Putumayo: New Orleans Christmas - 1997
Dukes Of Dixieland - Santa Claus Comes Tonight - Christmas In New Orleans - 2005
Harry Connick, Jr. - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Harry For The Holidays - 2003
New Birth Brass Band - Santa’s Second Line - Allen Toussaint & Friends: A New Orleans Christmas - 1997
Heritage Hall Jazz Band (feat. Gregg Stafford) - Silver Bells - A Jazzy Christmas with the Heritage Hall Jazz Band - 2002
Dejan’s Olympia Brass Band - Auld Lang Syne - Down Yonder - 1988
Ramsey Lewis Trio - Christmas Blues - Sounds Of Christmas - 1961
Dukes Of Dixieland - Merry Christmas Baby - Christmas In New Orleans - 2005
Louis Jordan - Santa Claus, Santa Claus - Vintage Christmas - 1968
Carmen McRae - The Christmas Song - Carmen McRae Sings Lover Man & Other Billie Holiday Classics - 1962
Dianne Reeves - Jingle Bells - Yule Be Boppin’ - 1997
King Curtis - What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve - Jingle Bell Jam: Jazz Christmas Classics - 1968
Tonic Vintage Vocals - The Holiday Season - It Ain’t Over ‘Til The Fat Man Swings - 2005
Inner Voices - Boogie Woogie Santa Claus - Christmas Harmony - 1990
Harry Connick, Jr. - The Happy Elf - Harry For The Holidays - 2003
Ella Fitzgerald - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Have Yourself A Jazzy Little Christmas - 1960
Tex Beneke & The Glenn Miller Orchestra - Snowfall	 - Jingle Bell Swing - 1965
Tommy Dorsey - March Of The Toys	 - Jazz Christmas - 1939
Banu Gibson & The New Orleans Hot Jazz	- I’ll Be Home For Christmas - Zat You Santa Claus? - 1995
Ingrid Lucia - Zat You Santa Claus? - Christmas Gumbo - 2004
Kurt Elling	 - Cool Yule - Blue Christmas - 1997
Swingle Singers	 - Medley: Gloria In Excelsis Deo / Oh Christmas Tree / Lovely Star How I Adore Thee - Christmastime - 1968
Sweet Daddy Lowe & The Blue Note Ad Hoc Orchestra - Be-Bop Santa Claus - Yule Be Boppin’ - 1997
Jacky Terrasson - Adeste Fideles / Little Drummer Boy Jam - Blue Christmas - 1997
Jimmy Smith - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Christmas ‘64 - 1964
Bobby Watson & Jack Walrath - Cristo Redentor - The Blue Note Years 7: Blue Note Now & Then - 1997
Eliane Elias - I’ve Got My Love To Keep Me Warm - Ultimate Jazz Christmas - 1997
Gary Motley - December Dance	 - Seasoning - 2011
Kurtis Blow - Christmas Rappin’ - Best Of Kurtis Blow – Funk on Fire! - 1979

Background Music
Beegie Adair - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town	- Jazz Piano Christmas - 1999

For more information on who we are and what we do:
http://www.soulandjazz.com/about/

Product may be submitted for airplay consideration to:
J. Scott Fugate
Soulandjazz.com / Jazz Evangelist Promotions
309 Oakland Drive
Gainesville, GA
30501