[JPL] Eddie "Clean Head"

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Mon Dec 26 23:42:23 EST 2011

Composed Kidney Stew, one of the greatest jump blues tunes, one of
dozens he cut in the 40's-50's after he played with Cootie Williams, the
band that also had Bud.  Clark Terry sings Kidney Stew on his 1981 Pablo
LP, /Yes, The Blues/, which has Cleanhead on the date!  Michael
Bloomfield plays guitar on Vinson's 1967 ABC Bluesway release, /Cherry
Red/; the title track is the Turner & Johnson classic that was a big hit
for Cleanhead.  Cannonball loved him, produced the date /Cleanhead and
Cannonball/; and Lou Donaldson must have dug him too.  He was an early
model of a blues-oriented alto player who'd absorbed some Bird.  I saw
him at Sandy's in Beverly, Mass with Ray Bryant, Geo Duvivier, Alan
Dawson, Buddy Tate and Arnett Cobb, Texas Tenors and an alto, some
released on Muse!  A few years later I caught him back-to-back at
Jonathan Swift's in Cambridge and Lupo's in Providence with Roomful of
Blues, whom he made a fine LP with in '80, a Bob Porter production.
His finest LP may have been the Bethlehem date with a bunch of
Basie-ites, /Cleanhead's Back in Town/.

On 12/26/2011 9:04 PM, Nou Dadoun wrote:
> Coltrane played in one of his bands in the early 50s (unrecorded
> unfortunately), he was a fabulous singer and sax player who straddled
> blues, RnB and bebop  Two of his compositions were lifted by Miles - Tune
> Up and Four; lucky enough to see him about half a dozen times in the 80s
> (in Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto) and he always put on a fabulous show
> ... N
>
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Tom Reney<tr at wfcr.org>  wrote:
>
>> that's "Cleanhead," one word.
>>

>> On 12/26/2011 5:09 PM, Peter Solomon wrote:
>>
>>> Vinson
>>>
>>> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Jazz in Savannah<JASSav at comcast.net>**
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>   Need some help from the experts.  Online, Eddie Clean Head's last name is

>>> --

>> --
>> Tom Reney
>>
>> Jazz à la Mode