[JPL] Best jazz of the 1980s & '90s.

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 28 17:04:24 EST 2011

Linda,

About five years ago a Portuguese jazz magazine asked me to name 30 of my favorite jazz recordings from the past 30 years. Here is what I sent them, in alphabetical order. If I were to come up with a revised list, some might still be on it. You'll see that it includes quite a few from the '80s and '90s, along with some extras as honorable mention:

1. Muhal Richard Abrams-BluBluBlu (Black Saint)
2. Air-Airlore (RCA)
3. Art Ensemble of Chicago-Nice Guys (ECM)
4. Alvin Batiste-Late (Columbia)
5. Pete Christlieb/Warne Marsh-Apogee (Warner)
6. Ornette Coleman-Soapsuds, Soapsuds (Caravan of Dreams)
7. Clusone 3-Soft Lights & Sweet Music (hat Art)
8. Jack DeJohnette-New Directions (ECM)
9. Sidsel Endresen/Bugge Wesseltoft-Duplex Ride (Curling Legs)
10. Jon Faddis-Remembrances (Chesky)
11. Bill Frisell-Have A Little Faith (Nonesuch)
12. Stan Getz./Kenny Barron-People Time (Verve)
13. Dexter Gordon-Sophisticated Giant (Columbia)
14. Charlie Haden/Hank Jones-Steal Away (Verve)
15. Joe Henderson-Lush Life (Verve)
16. Andrew Hill-Dusk (Palmetto)
17. Dave Holland-Triplicate (ECM)
18. Abdullah Ibrahim-Water From An Ancient Well (Enja)
19. Keith Jarrett-Radience (ECM)
20. Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall (Blue Note)
21. Paul Motian-On Broadway Vol. 2 (JMT)
22. David Murray Octet-Ming  (Black Saint)
23. Astor Piazzola-Tango Hora Zero (American Clave)
24. Don Pullen-Random Thoughts (Blue Note)
25. Jimmy Rowles/Stan Getz-The Peacocks (Columbia)
26. Henry Threadgill-You Know The Number (Novus)
27. Weather Report-Heavy Weather (Columbia)
28. World Saxophone Quartet-Revue (Black Saint)
29. Wayne Shorter-Alegria (Verve)
30. Luciana Souza-Neruda (Sunnyside)

Abbey Lincoln/Hank Jones-When There Is Love (Gitanes)
Jay Clayton/Fred Hersch-Beautiful Love (Sunnyside)
Shelia Jordan/Harvie Swartz-Old Time Feeling (Muse)
Shirley Horn-You Won’t Forget Me (Verve)
Anthony Davis-Episteme (Grammavision)
Amiri Baraka-New Music--New Poetry (India Navigation)
Cecil Taylor-In Florescence (A&M)
Fumio Itabashi-To Be (Denon)
John Carter-Roots & Folklore (Grammavision)