[JPL] Best jazz of the 1980s & '90s.

Bradley Stone stonebradley1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 10:37:14 EST 2011

Aloha Linda,

I apologize for my "flip" answer to this on FB, but I truly believe that
there are thousands of recordings during this time period that qualify.
They also largely get ignored by jazz radio on the whole, so I applaud your
efforts to find a place for them in your programming . I have often thought
that if I were programming a 24-hour jazz station, that I would have a spot
in my clock for recent (past few years) CDs that were in our heavy or
medium rotations at that time - these recordings deserve to be revisited,
and not forgotten!  it is very easy to lapse into a formula of featuring
brand new releases along with jazz classics. I would say to revisit your
(and other stations that you respect) old playlists during that time
period, to remind yourself as to what was 'hot' at the time.

With programmers like you, the light is on.

Brad

On Wednesday, December 28, 2011, Larry Appelbaum <jumpmonk at hotmail.com>
wrote:
> THIS WEEK'S SPONSOR: The JazzWeek relaunch -- JazzWeek 2.0 --
crowdfunding project has launched. Visit
http://www.indiegogo.com/jazzweekfor more information. Become part of
the solution.

> ---
>

> Linda,
>
> About five years ago a Portuguese jazz magazine asked me to name 30 of my
favorite jazz recordings from the past 30 years. Here is what I sent them,
in alphabetical order. If I were to come up with a revised list, some might
still be on it. You'll see that it includes quite a few from the '80s and
'90s, along with some extras as honorable mention:

> 1. Muhal Richard Abrams-BluBluBlu (Black Saint)
> 2. Air-Airlore (RCA)
> 3. Art Ensemble of Chicago-Nice Guys (ECM)
> 4. Alvin Batiste-Late (Columbia)
> 5. Pete Christlieb/Warne Marsh-Apogee (Warner)
> 6. Ornette Coleman-Soapsuds, Soapsuds (Caravan of Dreams)
> 7. Clusone 3-Soft Lights & Sweet Music (hat Art)
> 8. Jack DeJohnette-New Directions (ECM)
> 9. Sidsel Endresen/Bugge Wesseltoft-Duplex Ride (Curling Legs)
> 10. Jon Faddis-Remembrances (Chesky)
> 11. Bill Frisell-Have A Little Faith (Nonesuch)
> 12. Stan Getz./Kenny Barron-People Time (Verve)
> 13. Dexter Gordon-Sophisticated Giant (Columbia)
> 14. Charlie Haden/Hank Jones-Steal Away (Verve)
> 15. Joe Henderson-Lush Life (Verve)
> 16. Andrew Hill-Dusk (Palmetto)
> 17. Dave Holland-Triplicate (ECM)
> 18. Abdullah Ibrahim-Water From An Ancient Well (Enja)
> 19. Keith Jarrett-Radience (ECM)
> 20. Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall (Blue
Note)
> 21. Paul Motian-On Broadway Vol. 2 (JMT)
> 22. David Murray Octet-Ming  (Black Saint)
> 23. Astor Piazzola-Tango Hora Zero (American Clave)
> 24. Don Pullen-Random Thoughts (Blue Note)
> 25. Jimmy Rowles/Stan Getz-The Peacocks (Columbia)
> 26. Henry Threadgill-You Know The Number (Novus)
> 27. Weather Report-Heavy Weather (Columbia)
> 28. World Saxophone Quartet-Revue (Black Saint)
> 29. Wayne Shorter-Alegria (Verve)
> 30. Luciana Souza-Neruda (Sunnyside)
>
> Abbey Lincoln/Hank Jones-When There Is Love (Gitanes)
> Jay Clayton/Fred Hersch-Beautiful Love (Sunnyside)
> Shelia Jordan/Harvie Swartz-Old Time Feeling (Muse)
> Shirley Horn-You Won’t Forget Me (Verve)
> Anthony Davis-Episteme (Grammavision)
> Amiri Baraka-New Music--New Poetry (India Navigation)
> Cecil Taylor-In Florescence (A&M)
> Fumio Itabashi-To Be (Denon)
> John Carter-Roots & Folklore (Grammavision)
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> As WEMU continues to develop it's sound with a fresher, modern appeal, I
thought I would call on the collective wisdom of the JPL.  In your
estimation, what were some of the "touchstone" jazz recordings of the 1980s
and 1990s?  As ever, thank you for being an incredible resource for all of
us involved in jazz radio.